List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS

List entry Number: 1360127

Location

CHURCH OF ST NICHOLAS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthoritySwayfield

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194172

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SWAYFIELD CHURCH LANE SK 92 SE

5/198 Church of St. 30.10.68 Nicholas

II*

Parish church. C12, C13, late C17, nave and chancel rebuilt 1875-8 by F. Goddard. Squared limestone rubble, ashlar quoins and dressings, stone coped Collyweston slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel, north aisle. The C13 3 stage tower has clasping buttresses to lower stages and plinth, a chamfered string course and battlemented parapet. The twin pointed bell openings to each face are separated by octagonal moulded shaft and set in a single chamfered surround with hood mould. In the tympanum a carved floriated trefoil. In the south side ground stage is a late C17 rectangular light in chamfered surround with hood mould. To second stage a Y traceried window with moulded circular central shaft and rectangular hood over. The west doorway is pointed with double chamfered arches and hood mould, with octagonal responds and imposts. The upper stages are as the south, the belfry light having a more ornate capital to the central shaft and human heads to the hood. The north side is as the south, the second stage window has nail head decoration and the belfry light has a plain tympanum. The C19 north aisle has 3 pairs of lights with trefoil heads, divided into bays by stepped buttresses. The vestry has a pair of short trefoil headed lights, to the north and a similar taller pair plus pointed doorway to the west. The chancel has a single pointed trefoil headed light with trefoil over, and a similar further window to the south. The east window is of 3 lights with Geometrical tracery and there is a further similar 2 light window to the south chancel wall, repeated 3 times in the nave south wall. Interior. The 3 bay C19 north arcade has pointed double chamfered arches, circular piers and abaci. The chancel arch is pointed and double chamfered, set on squat semi-circular responds with large late C12 imposts. That on the south side is scalloped and reset, the north side is fluted and possibly in situ. In the north wall of the chancel a C19 pointed doorway to the vestry. All fittings are C19 except the font, a C12 circular bowl set on a moulded octagonal base. Monuments. In the west wall of the nave a stone wall plaque to Richard Wing, d.1775, a further plaque to Thomas Gibson, d.1806 and in the aisle west wall a stone plaque with fluted pilasters and pediment to members of the Wilcox family, early C18.

Listing NGR: SK9932422644

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 99324 22644

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 09:14:14.