List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JAMES

List entry Number: 1360095

Location

CHURCH OF ST JAMES, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityCastle Bytham

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 30-Oct-1968

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 194211

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CASTLE BYTHAM CHURCH LANE SK 9818-9918

16/50 Church of St. James

30.10.68

G.V. I

Parish church. Late C12, C13, C14, C15, C17, 1774, C19, c.1900. Squared and coursed limestone rubble, slate and lead roofs. Western tower, nave and clerestory, aisles, north porch, transepts, chancel. 3 stage early C13 tower has plinth, chamfered string courses, embattled parapet with cusped lozenge frieze and gargoyles. Belfry stage has paired pointed lights with round headed shafted surround. On the south side a large octagonal sundial dated 1774. In the west wall a blocked narrow opening and a lancet to each stage and a blank circular opening with octagonal ashlar surround. On the north face an octagonal clock. In the north aisle 2 early C14 3 light windows, cusped Y tracery, and a similar 2 light window to the north. Long early C13 gabled north porch, with engaged triple shafts to the reveals, moulded capitals and double chamfered arch, human head label stops to hood. Side benches. C14 continuously moulded inner doorway. C14 clerestory of 3 two light windows, rounded heads to the lights, sunk spandrels, hood moulds, ballflower eaves frieze. North transept north window, late C13 of 3 lights, plate tracery with sunk trefoils and quatrefoils. In the east wall a C19 lancet. C14 chancel with continuously moulded pointed doorway and 2 two light curvilinear traceried windows with mouchettes. Late C13 east window of 3 lights with roll moulded mullions and surround with deeply sunk roundels and quatrefoil to the head. To south side, 3 windows match those to the north. C13 south transept, a lancet to the east and 3 stepped lancets to the south under single chamfered arch. No clerestory to south side, but 2 two light windows with mouchettes and continuously moulded doorway. Interior. Late C12 3 bay north arcade, circular responds but octagonal piers, waterleaf and facetted capitals, double chamfered round arches. Early C13 tower arch, circular responds, facetted capitals, double chamfered arches. Above, a small C12 round headed window with a blocked opening to the right and evidence of another opening to the left. A further late C12 archway to the south transept has octagonal responds and double chamfered round arches. In the east wall of the north transept a C13 piscina. Double chamfered C13 chancel arch with to left a blank arch, a former squint, now with C19 carved rear panel and to right a 4 centred C15 doorway to rood loft. Nave roof appears to be C14 with moulded tie beams on wall posts with simple corbels. In the chancel a C14 piscina with hacked back cusps and a c.l900 carved wooden reredos. On the north wall a C14 Easter Sepulchre with bold hollow cusped and crocketed ogee arched canopy with pinnacles and ball flowers. Above a ledge having panelled front with blank cusped ogee arches, crockets and pinnacles. Fittings. Early C17 octagonal font with panelled sides containing abstract decoration, a stepped cross and the Sacred Monogram. In the nave a fine brass candelabrum dated 1816. Otherwise fittings are C19 and c.1900. C19 stained glass, and a ladder at the west end of the nave made from the village maypole of 1660. DO Saxon cross shaft with cable moulded angles, floral decoration to the sides and interlace to the panels. Monuments. In the north transept a stone wall plaque in the form of an obelisk with palms to William Exton, d,1789, by Gilbert of Stamford. In south wall of nave a further obelisk wall plaque with draped urn to John Coverley d.1787, and in the chancel 3 matching round headed plaques to members of the Hopkinson family, 1793, 1810, 1825.

Listing NGR: SK9885818348

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 98862 18348

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 08:07:34.