List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN

List entry Number: 1360092

Location

CHURCH OF ST. MARTIN, BRANDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityStubton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193971

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 84 NE STUBTON BRANDON ROAD (south side)

3/82 Church of St. Martin

20.9.66 II*

Parish church. 1799, 1869. Gothic revival. Ashlar, blue lias, slate roofs. Western rectangular vestry, west tower to east of vestry, nave and rectangular chancel. Ashlar vestry of 1799 with moulded plinth and pointed west window with delicate tracery and hood mould. Pinnacle on each corner with crockets and finials. Openwork quatrefoil balustrade running round west, north and south sides. Ashlar west tower of 1799 with moulded plinth, 2 stages with flat stone string course. West side has small window above string course. South side has pointed doorway with hood mould. Bell chamber openings on all 4 sides, each of 2 cusped lights surmounted by a trefoil and hood mould. Pronounced moulded eaves with gargoyles, Openwork balustrade and pinnacles with crockets find finials. Nave and chancel with plinth. Nave of 1799. North side has 2 windows each of 3 lights with tracery of 1869. Blue lias chancel of 1869. East end has corner buttresses of 2 stages and a large window of 3 lights under pointed hood mould with floral label stops. South side of chancel has small buttress reaching to string course running below rectangular window of 2 lights with tracery. South side of nave has 3 irregularly placed windows, the 2 to the west of 3 lights, that to the east of 2 lights, all with tracery of 1869. Interior pointed, moulded doorway leads from tower into nave, supported on 2 shafts with hood mould and foliage and flowers as label stops. Gallery at west end of nave. Wainscotting up to window sills. Pointed chancel arch with heads as label stops. Chancel has wagon roof and a piscina in the north wall. C19 pews. C19 octagonal font. C19 pulpit.

Listing NGR: SK8747648779

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 87476 48779

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Apr-2014 at 06:17:55.