List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. PETER

List entry Number: 1360062

Location

CHURCH OF ST. PETER, LONG STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireSouth KestevenDistrict AuthorityFoston

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 20-Sep-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 193913

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 84 SE FOSTON LONG STREET (west side)

5/24 Church of St. Peter

20.9.66 I

Parish Church. Late C12, early C13, C15, C16, 1859, by Charles Kirk. Limestone, ashlar, coursed ironstone rubble, blue lias, some rendering, lead roofs and slate south porch roof. West tower, nave with north and south aisles, south porch, chancel with rectangular chapel to south. Late C12 west tower of 3 stages with low plinth and moulded string courses. Large buttress clasps south-west corner ignoring the string courses and containing stairs and 4 small lights. West side has round headed late C12 doorway with moulded arch with chipstar decoration, damaged cable decorated hood mould and 2 weathered head label stops. The doorway is blocked and 2 round headed C20 windows inserted. Deep groove in north west corner of tower. All 4 bell openings have 2 crudely pointed late C12 openings under round headed arch, on the east side a quatrefoil is set above, on the south, an oculus. C15 moulded eaves, projecting gargoyles, battlements and ornate corner pinnacles. North aisle rebuilt by Kirk in 1859, of coursed blue lias with ashlar plinth, buttresses, window dressings and moulded eaves. West window has single narrow light with trefoiled head. Diagonal buttress and 2 others each of 2 stages. 2 windows, that to the west of 3 lights, the 2 to the east of 2 lights, all with C19 tracery and hood moulds. Clerestorey of coursed ironstone. Chancel, restored 1859, has very thick rendering scored with ashlar joints, 2 ashlar buttresses each of 3 stages, moulded eaves and small parapet. East end of blue lias with ashlar bands and quoins, blue lias plinth with ashlar dressings. C19 east window of 4 triangular headed lights under rectangular hood mould and with head label stops. South side of chancel of blue lias with ashlar bands, 2 triangular headed lights moulded eaves and small parapet. South chapel was rebuilt in 1859, the lower part of earlier ironstone rubble, the upper of C19 blue lias and limestone. The east side with inserted quatrefoil window with moulded eaves and parapet above. South side has quoins and large coffin shaped window with trefoiled head, hood mould and head label stops. Shallow coped gable with finial above. South side of aisle rebuilt in 1859, the lower part of earlier coursed ironstone with C19 blue lias and limestone above. 2 reset C12 plain lancets, that to the east larger. C19 ashlar south porch with doorway with pointed arch, keeled responds, coped gable, finial and slate roof. Early C13 south doorway inside porch with columnar responds, pointed arch with filleted rolls, hood mould, head label stops, and at apex, another weathered head. Stone benches flank porch. West of porch C12 lancet reset. Angle buttress of 2 stages. West window is another C12 lancet. C16 clerestorey of 2 small rectangular windows to east and single larger C19 rectangular window to the west. C13 interior tower arch, steeply pointed with plain polygonal responds with abaci that run into string courses. Nave of 3 bays. North arcade of c.1200 with octagonal piers and polygonal responds with double chamfered round arches. Early C13 south arcade with octagonal piers and polygonal responds with double chamfered pointed arches with large heads in spandrels. Round late C12 chancel arch with chevron and billet decoration, rectangular responds with scalloped capitals. Early C13 south arch in chancel to south chapel is pointed with polygonal responds. Encaustic tiled floor to chancel, 2 plain aumbrys in its north wall and single aumbry in south. C20 string course runs under windows. South chapel has an aumbry with a pointed head in south wall, 3 corbels embedded in east wall and a single corbel in west. C17 altar table. C12 octagonal font supported on claws, with decorated panels, C20 rectangular supports and hood. Pews, screen gates, pulpit all C20. Hatchment of 1717.

Listing NGR: SK8586642962

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 85867 42963

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:37:38.