List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1360012

Location

CHURCH OF ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityGreat Carlton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195612

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 48 NW GREAT CARLTON CHURCH LANE 1/6 Church of St.John the Baptist 9.3.67 G.V. II Parish church. C15 tower, church rebuilt in 1861 by James Fowler of Louth in C13 style. Coursed limestone rubble and squared greenstone rubble. Slate and tiled roofs with decorative iron ridges. Western tower, nave with clerestory, south porch, chancel, aisles and vestry. The 3 stage greenstone buttressed tower has embattled and pinnacled top with gargoyles. To the belfry stage are cusped paired lights with panel tracery, hood moulds and label stops, to each face. On the south side are 2 black letter inscriptions and a pair of trefoil headed lights to middle stage. The west doorway is continuously moulded with hood. Above is a 2 light window with panel tracery and concave surround. The north aisle is separately roofed and has a 3 light window to west and 4 paired windows to north. Charming facetted vestry with pointed lights. The chancel has a fishscale tiled roof. The east window is of 3 lights with Geometric tracery. The chancel south wall has a pair of 2 light windows. The south aisle has 4 lancets in the south and a single one to the east and west. The clerestory has 4 cusped triangular lights. The gabled south porch has a moulded outer arch with angle shafts and trefoil side lights. The single chamfered inner doorway has moulded hood and stops. Interior. The 4 bay arcades have octagonal piers, capitals and double chamfered arches incorporating much reused material. The double chamfered tower arch incorporates C15 moulded imposts and voussoirs. The C19 double chamfered chancel arch has keeled responds. The banded brick and ashlar interior has encaustic tiled texts and panels. The chancel roof is supported on moulded corbels, and there is a moulded doorway to the vestry. Handsome marble and mosaic reredos of 1890 with good stained glass window above of 1892. All fittings including decorative cast iron chandelier and panelled and stencilled organ are C19. The C15 octagonal font has blank traceried panels, octagonal stem and base, and comes from Little Carlton church. There is also a C19 font, belonging to this church. In the chancel north wall are 2 wall monuments to Frederic Pretyman, d.1905, and his wife Georgina, both in the Gothic Taste.

Listing NGR: TF4081285597

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 40812 85597

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Oct-2014 at 10:37:09.