List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANDREW

List entry Number: 1359976

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANDREW, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityStewton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Mar-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195519

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STEWTON CHURCH LANE TF 38 NE (south side) 8/76 Church of St Andrew 9.3.67 - II*

Parish church. Cll, C12, C14, c.1866 by James Fowler, 1902. Greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar, red brick. Slate roofs with stone coped gables with cross finials, gabled C19 bellcote with round headed bell opening with moulded head, imposts and bell. West porch, nave with west bellcote and south porch converted into vestry, chancel. Gabled west porch of 1902 with round headed doorway with moulded head, hood mould and label stops, single flanking shafts with ornate waterleaf capitals. Plaque dated 1902 and inscribed with names of rector and church wardens in south wall. 2 weathered, carved Cll fragments reset in north wall. Porch interior with C19 round headed doorway with keeled rolls, hood mould and label stops, single shafts with ornate capitals and double plank doors. C19 wheel window above porch with trefoil headed openings divided by shafts with moulded bases and ornate capitals. Small oculus above. North side of Cll nave with blocked Cll doorway to west with round headed tympanum, 2 voussoirs to east and plain rectangular jambs. C14 window to east with flattened triangular head, 3 cusped, pointed ligts and mullions partially restored in C19. North side of chancel, plain. East end of chancel flanked by 2 stage angle buttresses with large keystone of medieval rib vault reset below C19 window of 3 narrow round headed lights, that in centre taller, con- tinuous hood mould. Fragment of C12 moulding including band of dogtooth reset above window. South side of chancel with C19 rectangular window with cham- fered surround and medieval sill. South side of nave C19 window to east with flattened triangular head and 3 pointed cusped lights. Cll window to west, a round headed slit light made up of 4 large stones. Gabled C19 porch with south wall blocked with C20 red brick and a small round headed light inserted. East side of porch with C19 rectangular window with chamfered surround. Cll south doorway inside blocked porch with round voussoired head, plain tympanum, chamfered imposts and rectangular jambs. Doorway viewed from nave interior with C19 round voussoired head and rectangular jambs re-using Cll masonry. North wall of nave interior with Cll voussoired round head of blocked doorway. Cll chancel arch restored in C19 with round voussoired head, chamfered imposts with scored line decoration and rectangular jambs. Moulded string course runs from just below impost level to north wall with broad, blocked round headed recess below. Chancel with C14 beareed head reset on north wall. East window with nook shafts, ornate waterleaf capitals, hood mould and ornate label stops. C19 stone altar supported on 2 large round shafts with cushion capitals. C19 pews, roofs, brass lectern and pulpit on ashlar base. C19 font with octagonal bowl supported on a cluster of 4 shafts and with orenate wooden hood.

Listing NGR: TF3620887151

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 36208 87151

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Oct-2014 at 10:14:47.