List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1359965

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityWaithe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 09-Sep-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195369

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA 20 SE WAITHE CHURCH LANE

1/62 Church of St. Martin 9.9.67 G.V. I

Parish church. C10, C11, C13, restored 1861 by James Fowler of Louth, in Early English Style. Coursed limestone rubble with tiled and slate roofs having decorative ridge tiles. Nave, aisles, central tower, small south transept and apsidal chancel. West wall has 4 lancets and a vesica shaped window. The north aisle wall has 2 lancets, and a similar window in the east end. The 3 stage tower is unusually built of coursed large pebbles to a point about 5'0" below the plain offset to belfry stage. As the paired belfry lights are of C11 character this shows that the tower base must be Saxon. The north wall of the tower has a C19 lancet to ground stage, the cill of which is C13. Above is a C19 cinquefoil light, and to belfry stage paired lights with mid wall shafts having cushion capitals, above is a plain parapet. The apsidal chancel in square limestone is buttressed with moulded plinth, string course and decorative eaves. There are 5 lancets in the chancel. The scar of the earlier chancel roof is visible on the east side of the tower. The south transept has a lancet to the east wall and gabled buttresses to south east angle. The south door has a richly moulded head and angle shafts with floriate capitals, moulded hood with leaf tops. Above is an enriched lancet with moulded head and hood. The south aisle has 2 lancets to the south wall. Interior. The 2 bay nave arcades are basically of the early C13, having on the north side slightly keeled quatrefoil clustered piers with annular abaci, double chamfered arches and C19 moulded hood and stops, and in the south side are clustered circular piers with quatrefoil hobnail abaci, double chamfered arches and octagonal responds. The aisle and nave walls are of banded red facing brick and ashlar with chamfered polychromatic rear arches to the windows. At the top of the wall are continuously tiled texts. The round headed tower arches are plastered and entirely plain. In the south wall of the tower is a white marble plaque recording the restoration of the church in 1861 by George Henry Haigh, Esq. This is a recessed panel with marble side shafts supporting a tympanum bearing the Haigh arms. The chancel has blank arcading round the walls in a C13 style, it springs from a chamfered string course with marble shafts and limestone arches having annular decorated capitals. Below the string course the walls are lined with impressed glazed tiles and above are fine red facing bricks with tiled borders and flush white marble lozenges, some of which are inscribed to members of the Haigh family. The chancel and sanctuary have richly tiled floors and the reredos is elaborately tiled. All fittings are from 1861 including the drum font lightly carved in semblance of C12 work. The rounded ashlar pulpit has paired black marble collar shafts and foliate decoration. Underneath the chancel is the Haigh family mausoleum.

Listing NGR: TA2837100706

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 28375 00705

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 04:35:40.