List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARAGRET

List entry Number: 1359824

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARAGRET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthoritySomerby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196686

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TA OO NE SOMERBY

4/140 Church of St. Margaret 1-11-66 II*

Parish Church; C13, C15, C17, C18, 1864. Restored 1884-5 by H. M. Townsend of Peterborough. West tower, nave and chancel. Ironstone with ashlar dressings, some chalk blocks as common wall stones, slate roofs. West tower of ironstone with chamfered limestone plinth, single small paired lights in belfry stage, with above an early C17 cyma moulded cornice with battlements over. In the west side is a 3 light C17 window with chamfered mullions and cyma moulded lintel. North nave wall is of ironstone with some possibly earlier chalk blocks at the west end which also has a stepped angle buttress and a much weathered gargoyle. Two 2 light C17 windows with chamfered mullions and cyma moulded lintels. To east a blocked C13 arch, west reveal only survives, chamfered, possibly from a crossing since it is precisely balanced on the south side. In the blocking of this arch a C15 3 light cusped trefoil ogee headed window with a moulded frame and flat dripmould. Chancel is later than the nave, since it has a plinth which runs round all 3 walls. East chancel wall has stepped angle buttresses and blocked early C18 semicircular headed window with emphasised key and impost blocks. Blocking dated EW (Weston) 1864 on a common wall stone. Upper part of wall to gable rebuilt in brick. South chancel wall has a similar blocked crossing opening as on the north. To the east is a C19 3 light window in a C15 style, to the west a further, similar window. South door is also C19 in the form of a C13 opening with human head label stops, that to the east is an unmistakeable Queen Victoria. West of the door is a single C19 light. Stepped angle buttress at the end of the south wall. Inside is a late C13 dying double chamfered tower arch without capitals and a curious C19 rear arch giving the slight impression of a vaulted space. In the south wall of the nave a tomb niche rebuilt in the C19. Wide C13 chancel arch replaced in C18 by a basket arch with moulded surround and keyblock. Jambs of arch are engaged octagons with similarly shaped capitals and abaci. The width of this arch reinforces the likelihood of a crossing having at least been planned. To the east, the jambs of the original arch can still be seen, particularly on the north. Fittings are all C19 save for a cusped trefoil headed piscina niche reused as a piscina arch on the south side of the sanctuary, and the font which is a plain C12 cylindrical tub resting on a moulded annular base which appears contemporary. Traces of paint on the west side. Fine small armorial panel of C18 painted glass in the westernmost window of the south wall, to Sir Isaac Wolff, Bart. 1767. Fragment of a late C13 priest's tombstone with low relief cross fleury built into the north wall of the chancel. In both the north and south walls are several sections of a C14 frieze of recessed quatrefoils containing shields, probably from the sides of a tomb chest. Monuments:- recumbent effigy of a knight, late C13 on south side of nave. A fine carving with high relief, angels support his pillow and the details of the chain armour, breastplate and jambs are very clear. A surcoat with a shield bearing a chevron between 2 birds. Feet rest on a lion beside which is a small curled dog. In the chancel are 2 fine wreathed marble urns in niches on classical bases with egg and dart moulding to 2 sons of the Weston family, both of whom died in the service of the East India Company in 1762 and 1767 respectively. Also in the chancel a rectangular monument to Sir Edward Rossiter, Commonwealth General, erected in 1758 by Edward Weston, who is himself commemorated by a large marble wall plaque in the form of an obelisk on the north wall of the chancel; d.1770, Member of the Privy Council of Ireland.

Listing NGR: TA0623706626

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TA 06237 06626

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 19-Apr-2014 at 11:09:21.