List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1359789

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, ST. MARYS LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityClaxby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196484

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 19 SW CLAXBY ST. MARY'S LANE

9/2 Church of St. Mary 1-11-66 G.V. I

Parish Church; C13, C15, C16, 1871 restoration by James Fowler of Louth; squared coursed ironstone rubble, ashlar dressings, slate roofs with stone coped gables and cross fleury to ridges. Western tower, nave with clerestorey, north and south aisles, south porch, chancel, vestry. The 3 stage tower has a plain chamfered plinth, 2 chamfer moulded string courses and roll moulded cornice to battlemented parapet, which although much restored dates from C15 and has 8 pinnacles and 4 gargoyles. Corner buttresses to 1st stage only. The south side 2nd stage has a C19 pointed 2 light window. The bell openings to each face are C15 2 light openings heavily recut, with hood moulds. The west side has a C19 3 light window with trefoil heads, and a plain light and similar 2 light window to south side in 2nd stage. The north face is as the south plus an angled stair turret. The north aisle has a plain chamfered plinth, a C19 lancet west window, a blocked C13 north door with chamfered arch and plain hood mould, a 3 light C16 window with shallow 4 centre head. The vestry is C19 with a single door and light. The chancel east window is of C19 geometric design. The south side has 2 recut late C13 trefoil headed windows with hood moulds and C19 label stops. The south aisle has C19 lancet west and east windows, a C19 2 light south window and a C19 south porch. The clerestorey to both north and south faces has 2 two light recut C16 windows. The south doorway is C15 with concave moulding. The door has interesting C19 ironwork decoration. Interior: The 2 bay C13 north arcade has octagonal column and responds with double chamfered arches. The 2 bay south arcade dates from 1871 and is in the Early English style. The C13 tower arch has triple chamfers and the C13 chancel arch is double chamfered. The chancel imposts are both carved heads, that on the north is of a man pulling his mouth open and on the south he sticks his tongue out whilst both hands hold up the arch. The fittings, stone pulpit, oak screen and font are all from the C19 restoration. The chancel is floored with Minton tiles and has a fine C19 stone reredos with gilt mosaic decoration. The east wall of the nave has C19 painted designs and texts and the stained glass also dates from the restoration. The large C19 oil painting is one of a group of seven in this area (cf South Kelsey of Normanton). In the north aisle are 2 C19 painted iron candle brackets. Monuments: In the chancel under a recess on the north side is a C13 tomb slab with a quatrefoil headed cross and a shield, said to be the tomb of the founder Brayboeuf. On the south side is a tomb erected in 1605 to John Witherwick d.1595. It consists of a tall base chest, decoratd with a pattern of circles and rectangles. Above the chest is an inscription panel and on this are 2 kneeling figures of a man and a woman facing each other across a prayer desk. Behind the woman is a further female figure, now headless. This group is flanked by single Doric columns supporting an entablature which has recesses filled with coloured glass. The frieze is also decorated with coloured glass circles. Above is a shield with flanking scrolls. Beyond are 3 brasses, to Fitzwilliams Armiger d.1634, with a shield and helmet over the inscription; to Jane Burnaby d.1653, and to Mary Monson d.l638 with a scrolly shield over the inscription. Marble tablet to the Rev. Richard Dixon, d.1819.

Listing NGR: TF1112494585

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 11124 94583

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 09:53:01.