List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL

List entry Number: 1359705

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST PAUL, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityBolingbroke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196125

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

BOLINGBROKE MAIN STREET TF 36 NW (south side) 1/30 Church of St. Peter 3.2.67 and St. Paul G.V. II*

Parish church. c.1360, possibly for John of Gaunt. Partly destroyed in the Civil War, restored 1866 by James Fowler of Louth, and again in 1889. Squared greenstone rubble, limestone ashlar, Westmorland slate roofs. Nave, north aisle, north western tower. The present nave was the south aisle of the Cl4 church. West end of nave has stepped corner buttresses and a large 4 light C14 window with flowing tracery. Above in the gable, a quatrefoil. 3 stage tower with stepped corner buttresses, plinth, 3 moulded string courses, embattled parapet, 4 corner and 4 centre pinnacles, with panelled sides and crockets. 2 light bell openings with cusped ogee heads. Continuously moulded doorway with above a 4 light C15 window with brattishing and panel tracery. Large animal head label stops. Above an ogee headed niche. C19 north aisle of 3 two light rectangular headed windows with ogee heads to the lights, pointed vestry doorway and tall rectangular chimney. At the east end a 3 light window in C14 style. East end of the nave has a large 5 light window with fine flowing tracery and deeply moulded head. South side has 3 three light windows with cusped heads to the lights and flowing tracery. Gabled C19 porch with moulded pointed outer doorway with demi shafts. C14 inner doorway with moulded pointed head, demi shafts with foliate capitals. To the east side a holy water stoup on octagonal pillar with cusped and crocketed canopy. Above the door a large blank quatrefoil and 2 figured corbels. Interior. C14 4 bay nave arcade, now giving access to the new north aisle, with tall continuously moulded pointed arches, and filleted orders with moulded bases. Small C19 pointed doorway into the tower. A large grotesque head is built into the wall. In the tower, the remains of a fireplace with 4 centred head, and above an inscribed tablet with stone surround, regarding a charity given by John Aldred, Rector, in 1653. At the east end of the nave, 2 blank small pointed openings flank the window. On the south wall an ornate C14 sedilia with crocketed pinnacles, and nodding ogee canopy. Beyond an ogee headed piscina. A further plainer piscina half way down the south wall, and a small statue bracket. Fittings all C19 apart from the C14 font which is octagonal, with elaborate stem with clustered chamfered shafts with pyramidal stepped bases.

Listing NGR: TF3495165136

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 34951 65136

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 03:18:28.