List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE AND BISHOP EDWARD KING

List entry Number: 1359689

Location

CHURCH OF ST LAWRENCE AND BISHOP EDWARD KING, DALBY HALL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireEast LindseyDistrict AuthorityDalby

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 03-Feb-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 195931

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

DALBY DALBY HALL LANE TF 47 SW (south side)

4/4 Church of 3.2.67 St. Lawrence and Bishop Edward King

G.V. II

Parish church. 1862. James Fowler of Louth. Re-using some material from the former church. Dressed stone, ashlar, some red, yellow and blue brick. Slate roofs. Coped gables with single ridge crosses to the east nave and chancel. Decorative ridges. Buttressed and set on a chamfered plinth. Nave with west bell turret, south porch and chancel. Octagonal bell turret projecting to the west and supported on a single buttress has a spirelet with single tier of 4 lucarnes and corbel table of ball flowers under. Turret of 2 stages, the west side with single ogee arched and cusped light, arch supported on single pair of colonnettes with decorative capitals. Above are 4 ogee arched and cusped lights, those of the south and north sides part blocked by small buttresses. The west nave has 2 arched windows, each with single light, cusped tracery, hood mould, decorative label stops and finials. Continuous sill band. North nave has a single arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. East chancel has a single arched 3 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. Continuous sill band. The south chancel has a single arched 2 light window with cusped tracery, hood mould and decorative label stops. The south nave with 2 similar larger windows, hood moulds and label stops. South porch with moulded arched entrance, hood mould and decorative label stops. Inner moulded arched doorway, hood mould and decorative label stops. Flush arch of polychromatic brickwork over. Interior of red brick with flush yellow brick bands and polychromatic brick work to the window arches apart from the east window of the south nave which is ashlar. Yellow and red brick chancel arch supported on ashlar colonnettes with shaft rings and decorative capitals. Arch of east window supported on a single pair of similar smaller colonnettes. C14 octagonal ashlar font with quatrefoil panels. Ashlar pulpit. 2 C18 floor slabs. Good alabaster wall memorial to Julyan Llanden, 1617. The apron is decorated with a coloured shield and the crown with a small coloured kneeling female figure, carved in low relief. Further alabaster wall memorial to William Llanden and his wife, 1631. The decorative apron also with a coloured shield. Over the inscription tablet are 2 coloured kneeling figures flanked by single Corinthian columns supporting an entablature with coloured cartouche. The wall tablet to Revd. Willm. Tyler, 1808, is surmounted by an urn.

Listing NGR: TF4094370081

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 40943 70081

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Dec-2014 at 07:27:59.