List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1359515

Location

CHURCH OF ALL SAINTS, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthoritySixhills

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 01-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 197154

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TF 18 NE SIXHILLS CHURCH LANE

3/29 Church of All Saints 1.11.66 II

Parish church. Late C13, 1869 and 1875 restoration and rebuilding by James Fowler of Louth in the Early English style. Greenstone squared rubble and rock faced, with ashlar dressings, slate roofs. Western tower, nave, chancel with apsidal east end, south porch. The 3 stage tower in squared rubble has presumably medieval fabric, but all openings and dressings are from 1875. Plinth, 3 string courses, ashlar parapet with corner pinnacles and winged beasts. Corner gabled buttresses rise to top of second stage. The west window is a single lancet with hood mould having leafy stops. Above is a plain chamfered rectangular opening. The triple belfry pointed lights to each face have detached annular shafts and hood moulds. The rock faced C19 nave has 3 single chamfered lancets to the north face, divided by buttresses. The apsidal end has 3 similar windows to each face. At the west end of the roof are 3 cast iron decorative panels to the ridge, terminating in an iron cross fleury. The south side of the nave has 2 pairs of lancets with common sills. The gabled south porch has a deeply moulded C19 outer doorway with floriate stops and carving to the top of the chamfered sides and single pointed side lights. The inner doorway is in a moulded pointed opening dying to reveals and the plain door has contemporary decorative hinges. Interior. The C19 tower arch is single chamfered with keeled responds and has an outer roll supported on engaged shafts, and a hood mould with floriate stops. In the north wall of the nave is preserved the late C13 3 bay arcade to a now vanished north aisle with double chamfered arches, octagonal columns and capitals. Nave and apsidal sanctuary are undivided but the sanctuary is marked by a large stone corbel in the form of shield bearing angel to either side of nave, each supporting 4 annular wooden shafts with carved leaf capitals which bear a pointed timber box arch having pierced decoration of alternate lancet and quatrefoil panels. All windows have engaged annular shafts and moulded heads. Surmounting the nave wall is a timber frieze of pierced lancets which continues around the apse with pierced quatrefoil decoration. The nave roof is scissor braced with diagonal boarding over the apse, the rafters radiate from a circular centrepiece. Fittings are all C19 including stone pulpit with blank arcaded panels, dogtooth decoration and integral lectern. Circular C19 chalice shaped font, decorated with 4 roundels depicting scenes from the life of Christ. In the east window is a small panel of German C17 stained glass.

Listing NGR: TF1702387122

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TF 17023 87122

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 11:15:11.