List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1359462

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LincolnshireWest LindseyDistrict AuthorityAisthorpe

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 30-Nov-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 196967

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SK 98 SW AISTHORPE CHURCH LANE

1/3 Church of St. Peter 30-11-66 G.V. II

Parish church. 1867 by T. C. Hine of Nottingham. Rock faced limestone ashlar and dressings, bands of contrasting red sandstone. Plain tiled roofs with raised stone coped gables and decorative kneelers, crosses fleury above. Built in a C13 style. West tower, nave, chancel, north porch and vestry. West tower of 3 stages with angled buttresses,paired pointed lights with circular openings to tympana, nook shafts on all 4 faces of belfry stage. In the west wall a wheel window with moulded surround and lobes separated by colonettes. Above is a single lancet. broach spire with large coursed lucarnes in principal directions having stone gables with floriate terminals. Gabled north porch with pointed headed doorway and inside a single chamfered doorway without capitals. Paired quatrefoil lights to side walls. North nave wall has 2 paired lights with plate tracery and 4 quatrefoil vents at wall head. North wall of chancel has 2 lancets. Chancel east window of 3 lights of plate tracery with octofoil over. South chancel window is a paired light with plate tracery and the attached vestry has a single lancet east light and a shaped ashlar chimney stack to the south west angle. The south nave wall has a single 3 light window with octofoil in the head and two 2 light windows with cinquefoils over; 4 quatrefoil vents to top of wall. All windows have hoodmoulds, human head stops and arches in alternating limestone and red sandstone. Interior. Tall double chamfered tower arch dies into imposts. Inscribed chancel arch, also double chamfered and stilted with octagonal capitals and responds. In the chancel is a painted wooden ceiling having hobnail decorated cornices and corbels. Behind the altar a reredos with 5 small. arches springing fron marble colonettes. Trefoil headed gabled aumbry surmounted by cross in the north wall. Oak chancel and tower screens in the Perpendicular style. Octagonal font with floriate decorated panels and fine brass mounted cover. 3 brass 2 tier candelabra. Other fittings all 1867.

Listing NGR: SK9462680176

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SK 94626 80176

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:36:38.