List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST

List entry Number: 1359332

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN THE BAPTIST, LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBromleyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358507

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 13/12/2012

TQ 36 SE 13/25 28.5.54 4407

LAYHAMS ROAD, WEST WICKHAM Church of Saint John the Baptist

II*

Parish Church. Late C15, incorporating some earlier stonework. Baptistery 1825, north aisle widened 1844 as part of restoration by John Whichcord; organ chamber 1889 by J D Sedding; vestries added over and to north of chapel in 1961. Knapped flint with stone dressings; some stone to lower walls of chapel, rendered chancel. Tiled roof Chancel, nave with west bapistery, south tower with entrance porch beneath, north chapel and aisle, the latter doubled in width in 1844 to which the vestries abut to east. The nave, north aisle and tower refaced in 1844, when top oftower rebuilt with machicolations; the windows all C15 and mostly oftwo cinquefoil lights under straight heads. Interior. Arch to chapel C14, chancel arch and arcades may also predate the recorded C15 rebuilding; Two-bay chancel arcade, three-bay nave arcade much restored 1844-7. Chancel with medieval tiles, reset; mosaic pavement 1896. Fine fittings by Sedding include the organ case (organ 1860s), pulpit, linenfold panelling, chancel pews with poppyheads and rood screen (this last said to be C15 in origins and resited as parclose screen in 1991). Reredos 1930s. East window by Herbert Bryans, 1901; his also the small south-east window. South window by C E Kempe. Chapel with resited brasses, and three windows filled with early C16 stained glass figures reset in modern quarries after 1945. North-west window of chapel with glass perhaps by Willement. Nave with western gallery, perhaps of 1825 or a little later, on cast-iron columns; low, narrow bapistery behind built as vestry in 1825 and adapted 1912. Late C15 font. Late C19 pews. West window with figures by Herbert Bryans in mid-C20 quarries. Nine late C18 and early C19 hatchments in chancel and nave. North aisle with two windows by C E Kempe, 1896, and one by Powell of whitefiiars. by Bryans the two windows in the porch. Many memorials, including that of Samuel Lennard, d.1618, tomb chest, and Margaret Hobbes, d.1608, wall monument of small figure with stillborn child.



Listing NGR: TQ3889864854

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 38898 64854

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Oct-2014 at 05:52:25.