List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PARISH CHURCH THE ANNUNCIATION OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY

List entry Number: 1359325

Location

PARISH CHURCH THE ANNUNCIATION OF BLESSED VIRGIN MARY, HIGH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBromleyLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 29-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358476

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

HIGH STREET, 1. 4407 CHISELHURST Parish Church. The Annunciation of Blessed Virgin Mary. TQ 47 SW 6/73 B

the grade shall be amended to Grade II* (star) and the description shall be amended to read as follows:

Church. 1868-70 by James Brooks. Ragstone with ashlar dressings, slate roof. Rectangular plan of tall, four-bay nave with clerestorey and small, lean-to side aisles; chancel expressed externally with lower roof, bellcote at south-east corner; Lady chapel, and vestry with prominent chimney. Gothic Revival style with singular flying buttress at north-east corner. Plate tracery to most windows of circle over two lancets. Large 'wheel' window in west gable with plate tracery, whilst the east window has five lancet lights, with three roundels above and bar tracery. Churchyard walls also of ragstone with ashlar dressings. INTERIOR. Nave has high timber roof with pierced ties. Four-bay arcade with pointed arches delineated by moulded strings above. Squat piers, round on south arcade and square on north arcade with square carved vine-leaf capitals. Octagonal font of pink and green marble on stone base with flat, carved wooden cover. Pulpit of carved wood on base of pink marble and stone. Original radiators and draft lobby screens at west end of nave. Chancel is richly decorated. Reredos of 1877 by Brooks, executed by Westlake, has gabled centre flanked by tiers of roundels. Base of chancel screen also by Brooks, 1877, with figures of the apostles by Westlake. Remainder, including rood, added in 1928. Wall paintings of 1882 and 1892 by Westlake. Mosaic over chancel arch designed by Westlake and made by Salviati in 1890. Stained glass in east and west windows, 1870 by Hardman to Brooks's design. Original Gothic Revival carved wood pews; patterned encaustic tile pavement, Ornate wrought-iron screen to Lady Chapel designed by Brooks.

------------------------------------

HIGH STREET, CHISLEHURST 1. 4407 ------------------------ Parish Church. The Annunciation of Blessed Virgin Mary TQ 47 SW 6/73

B

2. 1870. Architect James Brooks. Detached tower of Norman shape. Nave and chancel of ragstone. Nave of 4 bays. Squat capitals with vine leaf moulding. Slate roof.

Listing NGR: TQ4383970931

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 43839 70931

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 20-Dec-2014 at 03:07:45.