List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BECKENHAM PLACE MANSION

List entry Number: 1359317

Location

BECKENHAM PLACE MANSION, BECKENHAM PLACE PARK, BECKENHAM

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLewishamLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-May-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Jun-1973

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 358443

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

4407

BECKENHAM PARK PLACE BECKENHAM Beckenham Place Mansion

(Formerly listed as Beckenham Place, partly listed in Borough of Lewisham dated 30.8.54.)

TQ 37 SE 1/7 28.5.54.

II*

This mansion was built about 1773 for John Cator (1728-1806). It is rather similar to Damson Park, Welling, Bexley, designed by Sir Robert Taylor in 1765 and may be by him. It is built of ashlar and has 3 storeys. The main front faces south-east. 7 windows. The ground floor has long and short quoins and a stringcourse above it. Cornice above the second floor and blocking course. Hipped slate roof. In the centre is a curved bay of 3 windows on all floors. A modern balcony has been added to its 1st floor with an outside staircase leading up to it, as the principal rooms are on the 1st floor on this side of the house. The sides of the building have 4 windows each. On the north-west side is a central projection of which the sides are rusticated on the ground floor with, above, a large tripartite window. The centre light of this is round-headed and flanked by engaged Ionic columns with a pediment ever. The outer lights are flanked by Doric pilasters with a cornice over. 2 windows on the 2nd floor of each side. The north-west front of this projection forms a portico said to have been added in 1787 and brought from Wricklemarsh House, Blackheath. This gives entrance to the house at 1st floor level. 4 giant composite columns rising through 2 storeys support a pediment containing a cartouche of the arms of the Cator family set in foliage with the motto "Nihil sine labore". The portico contains a central doorway flanked by engaged Ionic columns with a projecting cornice over and rectangular fanlight. On each side of the doorway is a niche containing a statue. The principal feature of the interior is a central hall with a gallery and a small circular dome. The contemporary stables to the north-east of the house stand within the Borough of Lewisham in the County of London, NMR photograph.

Listing NGR: TQ3785970706

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 37859 70706

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 07:56:49.