List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FORMER OFFICES OF THE BRIDEWELL HOSPITAL

List entry Number: 1359214

Location

9, BRIDEWELL PLACE EC4
FORMER OFFICES OF THE BRIDEWELL HOSPITAL, 14, NEW BRIDGE STREET EC4

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity and County of the City of LondonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 29-Sep-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199660

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3181 SE NEW BRIDGE STREET, EC4 (West side) 627-0/8/174 No.14 (former offices of the Bridewell Hospital)

GV 04/01/50 II*

Circa 1805, by James Lewis. Classical front in Portland stone. 3 storeys. 3 windows. Channelled ground storey with 3, arched openings. Order of Doric pilasters through 2 storeys above supporting pediment with coat of arms in tympanum. Dressings to 1st and 2nd storey windows. Railings and lamp standards to front area. Irregular rear elevation of 2 storeys. Yellow brick with slight stone dressings. INTERIOR: wrought-iron gates lead into a barrel-vaulted passage which originally gave access to a courtyard behind. On either side are doorways with ornamental fanlights. The passage is lit by a lantern supported by a bracket spanning the gap between the two doors. The right-hand doorway leads into a hall with an elegant cantilevered staircase, and the front room on this side has a marble fireplace with inset 'cameos'. The left- hand doorway leads into a self-contained unit comprising two ground floor and two basement rooms, the ground floor front room having a barrel vaulted-ceiling. Some delicate, plaster cornices and plain, early- C19 fireplaces survive in first and ground floor rooms.



Listing NGR: TQ3161381025

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31628 81042

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Jul-2014 at 06:18:29.