List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: BUTTERY AT INNER TEMPLE HALL

List entry Number: 1359174

Location

BUTTERY AT INNER TEMPLE HALL, CROWN OFFICE ROW EC4

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity and County of the City of LondonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Jan-1950

Date of most recent amendment: 07-Jan-1999

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199526

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3181 SW CROWN OFFICE ROW EC4 Inner Temple Buttery at Inner Temple Hall

627/7/113 04-JAN-1950

GV II*

Buttery to former hall. Probably C14 restored after bomb damage c1950. Stone rubble with asWar cornice, quoins plinth and window dressings. Flat roof Two storeys. North side retains at lower level a blocked pointed arched opening and one blocked four-centred arched opening. Above is a c1950 triple casement with leaded lights. West side has two c1950 round-headed casements with leaded lights to first floor and two c1950 rectangular windows with pivoting leaded lights to ground floor, the left hand one with lower cill. South front has one c1950 round-headed window with pivoting lights to first floor and two square lancets. Ground floor has two square c1950 pivoting casements and two similar lancets. Interior has first floor buttery (16x14,feet) roofed with a quadripartite vault with hollow-chamfered ribs which spring from the floor level. The crypt below has a similar vaulted roof and a C15 stone fireplace in the west wall with moulded jambs and four-centred head with blank shields in the foliated spandrel. Above the fireplace is a reset stone bracket of c 1500 carved with an angel holding two shields, one a chevron charged with a molet between three lions' heads razed, the other five palets on a chief three lozenges. West wall also has a small cupboard with a rebated arched head. The buttery was to a C 14 hall, probably of the Knights Templars dispersed in 1308 who had two halls in the Temple. By 1324 their property had been transferred to the Knights Hospitallers who merely drew an income from/the land. Lawyers are known to have occupied the site by 1381 during Wat Tyler's rebellion as there is a record of their lodgings and records being destroyed in the rebellion. The hall was rebuilt in the C 19 and following damage during the Second World War again rebuilt in 1952. The Buttery is one of only a handful of C 14 secular stone buildings in Greater London of which most examples are Royal Palaces. [Pevsner BOB London :1 P345.]

Bibliography 6384 Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England (English Heritage), Part 17 Greater London



Listing NGR: TQ3122081008

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London I: The Cities of London and Westminster, (1962)
Other
Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England, Part 17 Greater London

National Grid Reference: TQ 31229 81010

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Nov-2014 at 05:14:34.