List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE THE PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE

List entry Number: 1359155

Location

PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE, FETTER LANE EC4
THE PUBLIC RECORD OFFICE, CHANCERY LANE WC2

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCity and County of the City of LondonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 09-Jan-1970

Date of most recent amendment: 24-Jul-1998

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 199443

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 3181 SW CITY OF WESTMINSTER CHANCERY LANE, WC2 61/7 9.1.70 The Public Record Office

G.V. II*

Public building. Original part to east partly within City of London, Fetter Lane q.v., 1853-55 by Sir James Pennethorne, extended with frontage to Chancery Lane 1891-96 by Sir John Taylor including re-erected C.13 archway of the Rolls Chapel. Pennethorne's work of Bath stone with lead roofs; Taylor's extension of Portland stone, both rock faced with ashlar dressings. Pennethorne's building is notable for its fire proof construction with individual modular document cells built of wrought iron with shallow arched brick vaults and cast iron girders; the elevations employing Perpendicular Gothic in very functional way; the Perpendicular style was continued by Taylor in a rather more elaborated fashion. Symmetrical front to Chancery Lane with central archway in "gatehouse" and terminal polygonal turrets with stone ogee cupolas. Symmetrical east-west range with central "gatehouse" and square tower above, and a more asymmetrical range with polygonal turrets to Fetter Lane. The Pennethorne work distinguished by the sheer mullion-buttresses articulating the fully glazed window bays finished off with depressed triangular arches over the top floor below pierced parapet and crocketed finials. Similar details to Taylor extension but with closer net mullions dividing the lights. Part of the chancel arch of the demolished C.13 Rolls Chapel re-erected against the rear of the Chancery Lane block at the south east end. Important Renaissance monuments from the chapel are now in the Record Office museum.

Listing NGR: TQ3121381287

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31213 81287

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Sep-2014 at 07:40:04.