List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ST MARTHAS CONVENT (THE MOUNT HOUSE) WITH ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK

List entry Number: 1359027

Location

ST MARTHAS CONVENT (THE MOUNT HOUSE) WITH ATTACHED STABLE BLOCK, CAMLET WAY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityBarnetLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1949

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 198831

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

1. 5004 CAMLET WAY Monken Hadley

St Martha's Convent (The Mount House) with attached stable block TQ 2597 9/8 18.7.49

II*

2. Mid C18. A fine red brick mansion with stone dressings, quoins and string course. Two storeys. Main elevation of 5 windows with the centre 3 set slightly forward under pediment. Sash windows with glazing bars. Central doorway on a large scale. Ionic columns frame a 6 panel door with a fanlight and pediment. Bullseye window in eaves pediment. Modillion cornice, parapet, hipped roof. Lawn elevation altered by 2 circa 1800 full height bows each with 3 sash windows. Cantilevered stair with 2 fluted balusters to each tread, and ramped handrail. The home 1836-1863 of J H Green the editor of 'Spiritual Philosophy; founded on the teachings of the late Samuel Taylor Coleridge', written in the house and published in 1866. Also the wartime home 1941-45 of the Architectural Association School. Stable block to the right of the house is contemporary. Red brick with tiled roof. Two storeys, 2 windows flank each side of a tall rusticated archway with pediment and clock tower over. Clock turret with 2 segmented and 2 triangular pediments on the faces, domed cupola above. Band between floors. Arched openings below. Bullseyes and sashes with balustraded aprons above. Screen walls of red brick flank the house with a pedimented archway ball finials on either side.

Listing NGR: TQ2534097636

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Green, J H, Spiritual Philosophy, (1866)

National Grid Reference: TQ 25340 97636

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 08:02:15.