List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ROYAL ARSENAL THE BOARD ROOM

List entry Number: 1359015

Location

ROYAL ARSENAL THE BOARD ROOM, PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityGreenwichLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 08-Jun-1973

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Jul-1997

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200495

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 4479 PLUMSTEAD ROAD SE18 (North side)

786/9/54 Royal Arsenal The Board Room 08/06/73

GV II*

Board Room for Officers of the Ordnance Board and Cadets' Training Academy, later pattern room, Royal Military Academy, and officers' mess. 1718-20, attributed to both Sir John Vanbrugh and Nicholas Hawksmoor, for the Board of Ordnance, extended c1741. Red brick with rear lateral stacks and slate hipped roof. PLAN: Single-depth plan with N Board Room and S Academy, rear stair tower, enclosed by c1741 extension. EXTERIOR: 2 storeys; 7-window range, with 3-storey and attic; 6-window rear wing. A symmetrical front has a cornice and parapet, central pedimented entrance bay set forward with a ground-floor porch with banded jambs, shallow-arched lintel and deeply-set doorway and C20 door, and flanking deeply-set narrow windows; above, a tall round arch with plain balcony, flanking round plinths with lion and unicorn figures, a recessed round-arched window beneath a clock, narrow flanking windows, and above the impost band small oculi either side of a wind dial, with an iron weather vane on the pediment. Outer sections have tall round-arched 6/6-pane sashes and oculi above. Left-hand end has a single ground-floor window and 2 oculi, with a raised central parapet section. Right-hand end has a full-height header bond bow with raised parapet, 3 round-arched windows and flat-headed raised panels above each. Rear 6-window extension has segmental-arched windows, gables and parapet. Interior contains an entrance hall with stone and slate floor, round-arched doors each side with 8 raised panels and a panelled fanlight and panelled reveals, to a rear dogleg stair with stick balusters, uncut string and moulded rail; right-hand full-height former Academy Room with oak panelling and moulded skirting, flagged floor, good stone fireplace with architrave, consoles and cornice set forward to the sides, left-hand Board Room with an inserted floor across a C18 grisaille wall painting of trophies, and matching fireplace. HISTORICAL NOTE: Built on the site of Tower Place, the original residence of the Lieutenant General of Ordnance bought by the Crown in 1671, and used as the office of the Board of Ordnance. The left-hand room was used from its foundation in 1741 by the Royal Military Academy until it moved to Woolwich Common in 1806, and later as a model or pattern room for foundry patterns. The lion and unicorn probably those formerly on the gateway into the Royal Laboratory yard. A robust and strongly-articulated building, characteristic of the early C18 Baroque manner of the Ordnance Board associated with Vanbrugh and Hawksmoor, and of considerable historic significance for its connection with both the Board and the early RMC. Vanbrugh is associated with the early expansion of the Arsenal after the Board of Ordnance moved gun founding to the site in 1716. (Pevsner N and Cherry B, The Buildings of England: London South, London, 1983, p.288; Hewlings R, English Architecture, Public and Private, in (ed), 1993, pp.215-229; Hogg O F G, The Royal Arsenal, Oxford, 1963, pp.252-273; RCHME report, 1994; Wesley H, The Royal Arsenal: a brief history, London, 1987, p.16)



Listing NGR: TQ4371279266

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Wesley, H - Title: The Royal Arsenal: A Brief History - Date: 1987 - Page References: 16
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Bold and Chaney - Title: English Architecture Public and Private Essays for Kerry Downes - Date: 1993 - Page References: 215-229
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Hogg, O F G - Title: The Royal Arsenal - Date: 1963 - Page References: 252-273
  4. Article  Reference - Title: The Royal Arsenal Woolwich - Date: 1994 - Journal Title: Historic Buildings Report
  5. Book  Reference - Author: Bridget, C and Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: London 2: South - Date: 1994

National Grid Reference: TQ 43712 79266

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Jul-2014 at 01:59:50.