List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST LUKE

List entry Number: 1358934

Location

CHURCH OF ST LUKE, CHARLTON CHURCH LANE SE7

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityGreenwichLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 200248

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 4177 CHARLTON CHURCH LANE SE7

786/29/G3 Church of St Luke 19.10.51. II*

Nave, South porch and West Tower of about 1630, on site of earlier church. North aisle added 1693, also 2-bay chancel which is now incorporated with nave. Red brick with high pitched tiled roofs. South porch has curved gable over order framing rusticated brick wall. Round arched entrance with moulded brick architrave and keystone. Similar treatment on sides of porch. Tower of 3 stages with battlement parapet. Bell openings and windows have brick tracery, partly renewed. Nave and aisle windows have archaic Gothic tracery much restored. Chancel and North aisle extension C19, also of red brick. Projecting entrance with stone-coped Dutch gable on South wall; now blocked; and another entrance porch on South side of North-East extension. Inside nave of 2 and 2 bays. East bay of extended North aisle as chapel. l-bay chancel with large arch to organ chamber on North side. C17 wagon roof to old chancel and same style in new chancel. Heavy tie beams to nave roof. Aisle roof flat and plastered. Mid C17 pulpit. C17 stone font with baluster stem, bowl with draperies and shells. Many interesting monuments, particularly;

a. Stone tablet to Edward Wilkinson, master cook to Queen Elizabeth, d.1561. b. Lady Newton, 1630 by Nicholas Stone, large tablet framed in Order, black and white marble. c. Brigadier Michael Richards 1721, free-standing man in armour. d. Spencer Perceval, the Prime Minister assassinated in 1812, bust by Chantrey.

Listing NGR: TQ4145777835

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 41457 77835

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 24-Oct-2014 at 10:34:37.