List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PINNER HOUSE

List entry Number: 1358615

Location

PINNER HOUSE, CHURCH LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHarrowLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 21-Sep-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202008

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1289 NW 12/18 CHURCH LANE, PINNER (North-East Side) Pinner House 21.9.51

II*

Large house now old peoples' home. Probably Cl7, remodelled early-mid C18 (a brick reportedly dated 1721); C19 and C20 alterations. Front of red brick in Flemish bond with darker red brick dressings; returns and rear tile hung above late C20 brick plinth. Hipped plain tile roof with paired corniced brick stacks at centre. 3 storeys with cellar; 5 bays (3 at rear) x 3. South-west elevation: roll-moulded plinth. Central bay projects and has giant pilasters rising from 1st floor and supporting pediment. Central entrance: in projecting, corniced, brick panel; steps up to door of 6 raised and fielded panels; fanlight with decorative glazing bars; wooden architrave with fluted Ionic pilasters and dentilled open pediment. Sash windows: of 20 panes, unequally-hung, to ground and 1st floors with flat brick arches, the window over door with ogee-carved arch; shorter, of 16 panes, to 2nd floor; all with exposed sash boxes; brick aprons to 1st and 2nd floors. Segmental-arched cellar windows to 2 right-hand bays. Deep modillion eaves cornice which returns. Rear: tall central stair window. Right return: 2 left bays have a 2-storey canted bay with 12-panel sashes and cornice to ground floor, 20-pane sashes above. Mid-late C20 extensions to rear and to rear right. Interior: entrance lobby has floor of black and white stone; and entrance with columns supporting archivolt, all in pilastered and corniced surround. High quality early C18 open-string, dog-leg, stair rising to attic and having panelled dado, twisted column-on-vase balusters (2 per tread), wave-moulded tread ends, and moulded handrail with spiral curtails and columnar newels. Early C18 doors, cupboards and fireplaces throughout. Chamfered beams with pyramid and lambs tongue stops. Right-hand ground-floor room has early C18 panelling and eared fireplace architrave with elaborate frieze and cornice; room above also panelled. Left-hand ground-floor room has reset Cl7 panelling. In attic right-hand gable is preserved a pair of principal rafters from a former lower roof-line. A photo of c1924 shows that the returns were then rendered rather than tile-hung.



Listing NGR: TQ1246289598

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 12462 89598

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 06:46:35.