List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHANTRY CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE

List entry Number: 1358425

Location

CHANTRY CHAPEL OF ST MARY MAGDALENE, LONDON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityKingston upon ThamesLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-Jul-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 203139

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 1869 SE KINGSTON-UPON-THAMES LONDON ROAD (north side) 7B/7 Chantry Chapel of St 30.7.51 Mary Magdalene (also known as Lovekyn Chapel)

II*

Scheduled Ancient Monument. A chantry chapel founded by Edward Lovekyn in 1309 partly rebuilt in 1352 and much renewed in 1886. Became Queen Elizabeth's Grammar School in 1561 and subsequently renamed Kingston Grammar School, which it has been a part of ever since. A plain rectangular building with gabled east and west ends and octagonal corner turrets at the east end. 3 bays wide. Originally flint-faced but the east wall and the 2 eastern bays of the south wall were re-faced with ashlar in the late C19. The turrets are also ashlar-faced. The east and west windows are similar, having 3 light cusped Perpendicular windows. Two light side windows. Only one of the 3 in the north wall is now open. On the south side, only the 2 eastern bays now have windows; in the western bay is a two-centred-arched doorway. Three bay interior, with 2 cusped arches set in north and south walls between windows. Corbel in form of carved head attached to a mullion at the east end. King post roof. (Victoria County History for Surrey).

Listing NGR: TQ1857569358

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Malden, H E - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Surrey: Volume III - Date: 1911

National Grid Reference: TQ 18575 69358

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 16-Sep-2014 at 08:33:11.