List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARTIN

List entry Number: 1358325

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARTIN, CHURCH ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityHillingdonLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 01-Mar-1950

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 202724

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 0679 CHURCH ROAD, West Drayton (north side) 804/30/76 Church of St Martin

GV 1/3/50 II*

Parish Church. C13 chancel, C15 arcade, roof to nave and tower, extensively restored and with south porch added by Charles Innes 1850-52. Built of flint with stone dressings and some tiles to tower quoins and tiled roof. Nave and aisles, chancel, west tower, south porch. Stepped tower of three stages has staircase turret with cupola in centre of north side, arched windows and Perpendicular west door. Four bay nave with clerestorey and restored double cinquefoil-headed lights and taller windows with sexfoils to aisles. South porch of 1850-2 of flint with stone dressings, continuous wooden window and arched doorcase. Lower two-bay chancel with restored double cinquefoil windows and traceried east window. Interior has C15 octagonal arcade piers to 4-bay nave; and contemporary roofs. C15 font, octagonal on a nine stemmed foot with figured panels, five with figures of angels, one with a man with a hood and dagger, one with a Pieta and one with a Crucifixion with the Virgin and StJohn. Chancel has restored Early English piscina. Beneath the chancel a C13 crypt was discovered in 1974, remodelled in the mid C17 as a burial vault for the Pagets, with arcaded niches for upright coffins. Several monuments including 2 C16 brasses and 3 memorials to the de Burgh family, late C18-early C19 by Bacon Senior and Junior. North window of 1925-6 by Morris and Co is a Burne Jones design of four figures with angels in the tracery. [See BOE London 3: North West p367.]

St Martin's Church and the churchyard walls, the gatehouse and wall to the north, and the wall running to Gatehouse Nurseries form a group.



Listing NGR: TQ0616379542

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Pevsner, N, Cherry, B, The Buildings of England: London 3 North West, (1991), 367

National Grid Reference: TQ 06163 79542

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Dec-2014 at 04:26:50.