List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST JOHN WITH ALL SAINTS

List entry Number: 1357954

Location

CHURCH OF ST JOHN WITH ALL SAINTS, WATERLOO ROAD SE1

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityLambethLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: 27-Mar-1981

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 204772

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

In the entry for:-

TQ 3180 WATERLOO ROAD, SE1

779-0/1/1048 Church of St John with All Saints 19.10.51

GV II*

The description shall be amended to read:-

Parish church. 1823-4 by Francis Bedford. One of 4 churches in Lambeth in Greek revival style, damaged in 2nd World War and with Festival of Britain interior of 1951 by T F Ford. Body of church of stock brick with sandstone dressings and spire and columns to portico in Portland stone. Nave and chancel combined with pedimented portico at west end with 3 tier tower ending in obelisk. West front of 2 storeys: 5 bays. 1st floor windows have square paterae to surrounds and C20 metal panes. Ground floor has 5 doors with 6 panelled doors in similar surrounds. Massive stone pediment with frieze with 11 wreaths and 6 massive Portland stone columns. Square tower of 3 diminishing stages above, clock to lowest stage, round-headed louvred bell openings in Ionic Order above with antefixae at corners, then open Doric stage with antefixae at corners with plinth surmounted by obelisk with ball finial and copper cross and plinth containing anthemion design panels and antefixae. Sides continue frieze with wreaths. 1st floor has 6 sashes with C20 small pane metal casements. Cambered windows to ground floor. Deep stone plinth. C20 yellow brick pavilions with stone pediments attached to each side. East end has pediment with circular window. Central tall east window flanked by 2 bricks. Underneath are a central rectangular blank and 2 cambered windows. Internally of the 1823-4 phase remain the west gallery on 4 Doric columns (before the war damage the gallery was on 3 sides) the mahogany organ case of 1824 by J C Bishop, clock and 5 rows of pews in the organ gallery. The 2 curved stone staircases in the west pediment survive. The font is an elaborate C18 marble non-shaped example with putti forming handles and gadrooned font cover. The reredos contains remains of the original marble altarpiece. The rest of the interior was remodelled by T F Ford in 1951 to form the church for the Festival of Britain in a Neo-Georgian Style employing an anthemion motif similar to the original interior. Ceiling of 5 panels with water-lily paterae. Anthemion frieze to cornice with pilasters. Side windows have balconettes. Vestry and S.E. chapel have curved corners and anthemion motif. 2 unusual 2 decker pulpits with flat canopy and curved steps. The most striking fittings of 1951 are the alter painting (Adoration of the Shepherds) and panel over east window (crucifixion) by Hans Fielbusch. [See Pevsner B.O.E. South London P 335]

------------------------------------

WATERLOO ROAD SE1 1. (east side) 5023 Church of St John with All Saints (formerly listed as Church of St John the Evangelist) TQ 3180 1/1048 19.10.51

II* GV

2. 1823-4 by Francis Bedford. Simple Greek revival building of 2 storeys. Five-bay front has massive pedimented Doric portico with square tower above. Clock in lowest stage, bell-openings in Ionic order above, then an open stage crowned by obelisk. Antefixae at all angles of tower. Main block of stock brick; tower and entablature of sandstone; columns of Portland stone. First floor cill band on which rest windows with small leaded glazing in simple moulded architraves. Below these, double doors in similar architraves. Six bay returns with similar windows above; short, segment-headed ones below.

Listing NGR: TQ3113380093

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Bridget, C, Pevsner, N, The Buildings of England: London 2: South, (1994), 335

National Grid Reference: TQ 31133 80093

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 05:38:13.