List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: No name for this Entry

List entry Number: 1357641

Location

174 AND 176, EAST HILL, SW18

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityWandsworthLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-Jul-1955

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 207032

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TQ 2574 EAST HILL, SW18

1207/12/10 Nos. 174 and 176

14/7/55 II*

Large house. Circa 1736, partially refenestrated in later C19. Built of stock brick with red brick dressings and slate roof in four hips to the rear. Three storeys and cellars; five windows to front elevation, six to rear. Bands between floors and deep band to parapet. Red gauged flat arches and dressings to windows, which are late C19 sashes with horns but no vertical glazing bars. Red quoins to front. Central wooden doorcase with Doric engaged columns, triglyphs and pediment. Deep fielded six-panelled door. Rear elevation retains early C18 windows to right hand part with thick glazing bars and an early C19 curved three-light bay with thinner glazing bars. The early Cl8 interior survives largely intact, including stone floor and panelling to hall, first floor principal rooms and ground floor, doors, cupboards and other fittings, moulded timber and plaster cornices, shutters and some bolection moulded fire surrounds. The upper flights of the contemporary staircase with moulded handrail and turned balusters also survive. The first known occupant recorded (in Vestry Minutes for 1772) was a William Vander Esche Esquire. In the early C19 it was used as a 'Boarding School for Young Ladies'. This is one of the earliest and the best preserved of the middling size houses of wealthy Huguenot or Dutch immigrant families who lived in Wandsworth and Putney in the early Cl8.



Listing NGR: TQ2598474708

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 25984 74708

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Jul-2014 at 04:25:10.