List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CROSSRIGG HALL

List entry Number: 1357502

Location

CROSSRIGG HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
CumbriaEdenDistrict AuthorityBolton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Apr-1984

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422659

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

NY 62 SW BOLTON

5/154 Crossrigg Hall

G.V. II*

Large house designed c1864 by Anthony Salvin; additions and alterations by J.H. Martindale c1915 match the original style. Squared, snecked hammer-dressed rubble with string course and quoins on chamfered plinth. Original masonry of local pink sandstone, additions in yellower stone. Graduated slate roofs with dormers; gables have stone copings with ball finials to apex and kneelers. Corniced ashlar chimneys, some projecting; moulded cast-iron gutters. Asymmetrical plan, mostly 2 stories. Wing was added to north side with the embattled tower, dated 1915, built to conceal water-tank. Large mullioned and transomed stair window has segment-headed lights. Original carriage porch was re-used in 1916 with side arches widened. Canted bay window was added to west elevation, and full-height bay window on left of south elevation, c1915. Majority of windows are 2- or 3- light with moulded mullions and, in some cases, transoms. Some of the larger ground-floor windows have a wider central light which has a semicircular head springing from the same level as the transoms to the flanking lights. In 1915, the domestic wing adjoining the east end was enlarged; the original single storey buildings flanking the entrance to the small yard to its rear were for storage. Salvin's interior has been preserved and the original detailing has been matched where extensions made it necessary. The main 'Jacobean' stair was carved in 1915, but Salvin's original stair was re-used in the tower.



Listing NGR: NY6058724148

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: NY 60587 24148

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Aug-2014 at 08:52:55.