List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: MANOR HOUSE

List entry Number: 1357459

Location

MANOR HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OxfordshireWest OxfordshireDistrict AuthorityWestwell

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Sep-1955

Date of most recent amendment: 01-Mar-1990

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 422577

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

WESTWELL SP20NW Manor House 3/315 (previously listed as 12.9.55 Westwel1 Manor)

GV II*

Manor house. C16 with C17 and C18 extensions and C19 and C20 restorations. Mostly coursed rubble, some dressed rubble; Cotswold stone roofs; ashlar chimneys with cornices. Miniature Versailles plan developing from the central L-plan kernel (after 1544 probably for Robert Taylor) which had become U plan by mid-cl7 with framing wings at right angles for Charles Trinder before 1657; further wings forming the formal shape including the barn (q.v.) and N.W. boundary wall (q.v.) added in C18; the central part of the north front was filled to give a rectangular main block, probably in the C19. 2 storeys and attics. 3 bays to main block 2-bay wings and flanking ranges; return wings less regular fenestration. Mullion windows, some with hollow chamfer; C18 glazing-bar sashes to NE wing in raised flat surrounds. North front has central gable and flanking hipped roofs behind parapets - the difference between these, and also between the plinths below are an indication of the complexity of the house. The north east wing has chamfered quoins, a band over ground floor and paired ground floor windows; cellar window to north gable; the west wall might be a recladding of an earlier one. Rear has central attic gable, transomed ground floor windows and altered central entry. Interior much altered. Fireplaces: in hall a stone segmental pediment overmantel and eared architrave; the N.E. wing, ground floor, has a splendid wide fireplace up to the cornice, the overmantel has herm grotesques, dentil cornice, swagged garland with crude mask on circular tablet, egg and dart sub-cornice Over a panel possibly for a looking glass; in 1st floor S.W. room a C16 fireplace with overmantel with grotesques and strapwork supported on tapering Ionic piers. The interior has been remodelled to include a number of features from Ionic columns to Victorian panelling not necessarily in the correct positions and some imports have been incorporated. The back staircase on the east side of the main block with newel and a few splat balusters retained probably dates from C17. The principal restoration of c.1912 was for Sir Roger Sothern Holland. An interesting complex, beautifully set out and transformed by Sir Roger. NMR AST Fisher The History of Westwell, Oxfordshire (1972)

Listing NGR: SP2236109878

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Fisher, A S T - Title: The History of Westwell Oxfordshire - Date: 1972

National Grid Reference: SP 22359 09883

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 12:44:22.