List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARY

List entry Number: 1356896

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARY, MAIN STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityEast Haddon

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360132

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP6668 EAST HADDON MAIN STREET (North side) 18/143 02/11/54 Church of St. Mary - II*

Church. C12-C14 with C19 restoration. Regular coursed lias with slate roof, nave, south aisle, chancel and west tower. Chancel, south elevation of 3- window range of 2-light window with reticulated tracery probably dating from restoration by Mackesay 1872-74 or E.F. Low of 1877. Similar 3-light east window. North elevation of chancel similar with organ chamber projection. Gabled roof with ashlar parapet and corbel-table. South aisle of 3-window range of 3-light square headed windows with similar east and west window. Porch between windows 1 and 2 from west end with double chamfered arch and plank and braced door. Ashlar parapet and shallow lean-to roof. South nave clerestory of 3-window range of 2-light squared headed windows. Nave, north elevation: three 3-light windows with Perpendicular tracery, gabled roof with ashlar parapets. West tower, Perpendicular 3-stage with angle buttresses, 2- light bell chamber windows to each face of third stage, having cross transoms. Double string course with crenellated parapet above of 1673 with truncated pinnacles. Inscribed tablet illegible below south bell chamber window. Interior: C14 double chamfered chancel arch has C12 double nook-shafted responds with leaf and waterleaf capitals. Nave C14, four-bay, south arcade of double-chamfered arches on octagonal piers. Triple-chamfered tower arch, C19 kingpost and tie beam roof in nave, similar arched braced roof in chancel. Stained glass in north and south chancel windows and east window of south aisle. Chancel, north and centre south wall by O'Connor 1861, and chancel south west by Kempe 1883. Piscina with ogee head and shaft below basin. Triple sedilia with ogee heads adjacent, font C13 with decorated frieze. Monument to Clarke Adams 1776 is a marble tablet with small urn above by William Cox. (Buildings of England: Northhamptonshire, p.198)

Listing NGR: SP6673068166

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 198

National Grid Reference: SP 66730 68166

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Oct-2014 at 01:24:52.