List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: COTTESBROOKE HALL

List entry Number: 1356891

Location

COTTESBROOKE HALL

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityCottesbrooke

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Nov-1984

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 360110

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP77SW SP7173 COTTESBROOKE

4/121 14/121 Cottesbrooke Hall 02/11/54 (Formerly listed as Cottesbrooke Hall and Bridge)

GV I

Country House, c.1702-13. Architect unknown but reputed to be Francis Smith of Warwick with extensions by Robert Mitchell c1770-95. Brick with ashlar dressings, with lead and slate roofs. Double pile symmetrical house with attached pavilions, 2 storeys with basement and attic. South front, house of 7 window range divided 2:3:2 by giant pilasters with Corinthian capitals supporting entablature with pulvinated frieze and modillion cornice breaking forward above the capitals of each pilaster. Above the cornice is a parapet of alternating plain and balustraded panels with urns above the pilasters. Central doorcase with attached pillars supporting entablature and scroll pedement decorated with florets and foliage. The glazed double door is set in a finely moulded stone architrave. Tall 15 paned sash window with moulded stone surrounds. The shallow pitched roof is not visible. Brick stacks symmetrically above pilasters. Central lead spirelet with weathervane. The bowed ends of the north front are visible projecting to either side of the south front. The flanking pavilions are linked by quadrants of 7-bays separated by diminative Ionic pilasters. The central bay of each quadrant has a shallow stone niche with acanthus leaves springing from the keystone. Each pavilion is single storey with basement and attic. South elevations: Central windows with moulded stone architraves and flanking rusticated pilasters supporting a pediment which is carried above eaves level. Hipped roofs with round-headed dormers. The elevations facing the forecourt are similar with central Tuscan entrances. North front: Similar with additional flanking bays 1795 by Robert Mitchell. Central entrance and steps added in 1937. Each pilaster has a separate entablature. The east and west fronts are dominated by the large bows added by Mitchell in 1795 to terminate the extension to the north front these are in a neo-classical style. Interior: Entrance hall, centre of north front; moulded cornice with early roccoco ceiling of 1750. Dining room to left of entrance; moulded wood doorcases, fireplace with freestanding columns of veined brown jasper. Adam style ceiling of wreathed laurel and foliage by Mitchell. Drawing room to right of entrance; marble fireplace, ceiling of interlacing patterns incorporating urns and foliage with similar motifs in cornice; probably by Mitchell. Central spine corridor has arcaded ceiling with roundel decoration. Main staircase: Early C18 between north and south fronts has black Northamptonshire marble treads with fine wrought iron balustrade by William Marshall. Roccoco wall panel decoration of 1760 incorporating urns with eagle and lion in main first-floor panels, forge arch-headed window at half landing. Pine room: originally the entrance hall, contains original bolection moulding panelling. Roccoco ceiling of 1750. Library to right of pine room has screen with columns at south end and fireplace with Roccoco overmantel re-set from elsewhere in 1937. First-floor: Empress suite of 2 rooms, south front both with marble fireplaces the right having Wedgewood style insets. North front, east room has Adam style fireplace and frieze. West room has marble fireplace with brown reeded inlay. The Ballroom, in the west pavilion was formed from kitchens in 1937 has a chimney piece from Woburn Abbey. The study to the left of ballroom has C17 panelling from Pytchley Old Hall. Garden features with lead and stone urns attached to south front. C18 walls with gatepiers attached to south front of pavilions and to rear of west pavilion and offices at rear of west quadrant. The house was remodelled by Lord Wellesley in 1937-38 and the main entrance changed from the south to the north front. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire p.163)

Listing NGR: SP7110874001

Selected Sources

  1. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 30 Northamptonshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961 - Page References: 163

National Grid Reference: SP 71108 74001

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Sep-2014 at 01:15:36.