List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER

List entry Number: 1356763

Location

PRESBYTERY TO ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER, 4, BACK HILL
ROMAN CATHOLIC ITALIAN CHURCH OF ST PETER, 136, CLEKENWELL ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
Greater London AuthorityCamdenLondon Borough

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 14-May-1974

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 476992

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CAMDEN

TQ3182SW BACK HILL 798-1/97/262 No.4 14/05/74 Presbytery to Roman Catholic Italian Church of St Peter

II*

See under: No.136 Roman Catholic Italian Church of St Peter CLERKENWELL ROAD.

CAMDEN

TQ3182SW CLERKENWELL ROAD 798-1/97/262 (North side) 14/05/74 No.136 Roman Catholic Italian Church of St Peter

II*

Includes: No.4 Presbytery to Roman Catholic Italian Church of St Peter BACK HILL. Roman Catholic church. 1862-3. By John Miller Bryson, based on a previous design of 1853 by Francesco Gualandi. Front to Clerkenwell Road with loggia, superstructure and campanile behind by Francis W Tasker, 1891. Exterior of church hidden but of grey stock brick reinforced internally with hoop iron. Red-brick front to Clerkenwell Road has stucco-faced loggia in quattrocento style with two open round arches surmounted by three niches with statues - including St Peter, and upper storey in English Renaissance style with stucco dressings rising to a pediment enclosing papal arms. Loggia interior with vaulted roof and coats of arms above wooden panelled doors and memorials to the First World War and the Arandora Star. INTERIOR of church has basilican plan based on San Crisogono, Rome, with unfinished nave of six bays, aisles, transepts and three apses facing west. Ionic nave colonnade of stone, painted to resemble marble, carrying entablature surmounted by round-arched tribune (formerly open) and clerestory. Round arches at entrance to chancel and apsidal sanctuary. Baldacchino with marble columns over high altar. Organ at west end on gallery, flanked by piers surmounted by urns installed by Mssrs Walker 1959 incorporating earlier elements. Painted decoration throughout church by two Piedmontese artists, Arnaud and Gauthier, 1885-6, since the 1950s without the surrounding painted architectural framework that formerly enclosed it. Presbytery attached to church also by Bryson but completed by Wylson and Long, 1862-5. Elevation towards Back Hill in Italianate style with stucco dressings. Windows replaced late C20.



Listing NGR: TQ3128682071

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: TQ 31286 82071

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Oct-2014 at 04:25:45.