List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: HERMON CHAPEL

List entry Number: 1356736

Location

HERMON CHAPEL, CHAPEL STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
ShropshireUnitary AuthorityOswestry

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-Sep-1999

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 477072

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

OSWESTRY

1602/13/10018 CHAPEL STREET 06-SEP-99 HERMON CHAPEL

GV II*



Nonconformist chapel and Sunday school. Dated 1862; by Reverend Thomas Thomas of Llandor. Flemish bond red brick with stuccoed front and rendered at back. Slate roof with gabled ends. PLAN: Rectangular auditorium with gallery on three sides and entrance at SW end under gallery. Sunday school at NE end. Classical Italianate style. EXTERIOR: Single storey. Tetrastyle pedimented SW front, the tympanum with inscription panel; and with giant pilasters, the outer bays with tall round-headed windows with moulded architraves, small keyblocks and bracketed cills; central tripartite window with round-headed lights, over round-headed pilastered doorway with moulded extrados, keyblock and panelled double doors, the top panels arched. Tall round-headed windows at sides and rear. All windows have original frames with foiled tracery over two lights. At N E end a single-storey Sunday school with 12-pane sash windows. INTERIOR: Gallery on three sides on thin cast-iron columns and with panelled front. Intricately panelled ceiling to auditorium with central leaf rose. Deacons' seat and box pews intact, the latter including those in gallery. Rostrum at NE end with large organ behind, of 1909 by Blackett and Howden.

An exceptionally complete example of a chapel interior of this period and type, also of interest as an example of the work of the Reverend Thomas Thomas, one of the leading and certainly the most prolific of the Welsh chapel architects of the Victorian period.



Listing NGR: SJ2898029821

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 28980 29820

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Nov-2014 at 01:49:35.