List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALTHORP HOUSE

List entry Number: 1356626

Location

ALTHORP HOUSE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
NorthamptonshireDaventryDistrict AuthorityAlthorp

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: I

Date first listed: 02-Nov-1954

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 359990

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SP66NE ALTHORP

Althorp House 7/1 02/11/54 I GV

Country House. c.1508, for John Spencer, remodelled by Henry Holland 1789. White mathematical tiles with ashlar dressing and slate roof. Originally courtyard, now U-plan. South front: 2 storeys with attic, symmetrical core of 5-window range with flanking wings having vestibule projections. Large ashlar pilasters with Corinthian capitals, between windows of centre range, supporting pediment with entablature. Central entrance with pediment oiler and C19 half-glazed doors. Sash windows with glazing bars have moulded stone heads and surrounds. Hipped roofs, with the exception of the vestibule projections, have dormers with pediments over. Moulded cornice throughout. Lateral and central stacks. Large armorial moulding in pediment. West front similar of 10 bays. North front similar of 10 bays. End and centre 3 bays breaking forward with occulus in pediment over. Central entrance and end flanking sashes have pediments over. C19 single-storey dining room wing by MacVicar Anderson attached to right, centre 3 bays break forward all in similar style to main house. East side has C19 ironstone and slate roofed service wings attached which have been modified in C20. Interior: The Wootton Hall: Central south entrance hall, full height with coffered ceiling, moulded frieze and cornice designed by Colen Campbell and carried out by Roger Morris 1773, four symmetrical entrances, 2 with pediments over, centre internal with broken pediment supported on fluted Corinthian columns. Range of rooms to west originally remodelled by H. Holland, commencing with South Drawing Room which has fireplace, by Lancelot Wood 1802. Ceiling by Broadbent of Leicester 1865, similar ceiling in Rubens Room adjacent to north with chimney piece by Holland made by Deval. The long Library continues north forming a tripartite apartment with screens of Ionic columns and Adam style ceiling. The Marlborough Room occupying the western half of the north front has two fireplaces by John Vardy in Greek revival style and carved by Scheemakers originally at Spencer House in London. The Sunderland Room occupying the eastern half of the north front has its original C17 cornice. 2 fireplaces are by John Vardy and James Stuart respectively from Spencer House. The dining room wing to the north east by MacVicar Anderson is a double cube with coffered ceiling. The small dining room to the east of the Wootton Hall has C17 fireplace and panelling from Wormleighton, a former Spencer house. The Blue Sitting Room at south east end of the east wing has inset blue and white panels by Holland painted by Pernotin transfered.to present location C19. The central courtyard, formed into the saloon and staircase in 1650 has a wide straight flight stair with 2 intermediate landings and short branches to left and right to first floor flanking galleries added by H. Holland. Large oak balusters and handrail. Coffered ceiling with 3 roof lights by MacVicar Anderson. First floor rooms: Chapel in east range has bolection moulded chimney piece by Joshua Marshall, reset armorial glass in windows dated 1588. Range of rooms in north front contain fireplaces by P.C. Hardwick 1850, Repton and Lancelot Wood, some reset. Picture Gallery in western range is of C17 with restored bolection panelling. Chimney piece by James Stuart from Spencer house. Two services stairs in east range have late C17 balusters. (Buildings of England : Northamptonshire, p.78; Raine Countess Spencer, A Short History of Althorp and the Spencer Family 1982).

Listing NGR: SP6817865141

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Spencer, R - Title: A Short History of Althorp and the Spencer Family - Date: 1982
  2. Unpublished Title  Reference - Title: Part 30 Northamptonshire - Journal Title: Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England
  3. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N - Title: The Buildings of England: Northamptonshire - Date: 1961

National Grid Reference: SP 68178 65141

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 22-Aug-2014 at 10:49:42.