List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE CLOCK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1356544

Location

THE CLOCK HOUSE, 9, CAPPELL LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
HertfordshireEast HertfordshireDistrict AuthorityStanstead Abbots

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 04-Dec-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 355889

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TL 3811 STANSTEAD ABBOTS CAPPELL LANE (east side)

Stanstead Abbots village 13/18 No 9 (The Clock House) 4.12.51

GV II*

Grammer School, now a house. Circa 1636 for Sir Edward Baish with accommodation for Schoolmaster. Used also for services on Sunday in C17, bell said to be dated 1704, clock and repairs 1788, sold in 1913. Red brick in English-bond, with black diaper pattern in gable and stucco quoins. Old red tiled roof, with gable end (W) to street topped by a weatherboarded square cupola with ogee roof and vane. 2-storeys. Symmetrical arrangement with central door, 3-light casement window over (both have segmental heads and stucco surround) and a large lozenge-shaped clock face with raised surround. On N and S fronts 3-light plastered brick mullioned windows with moulded labels. C18 3- light wooden casements to upper floor. Leaded glazing. The main part was a schoolroom lit by the 2 opposed 3-light windows and originally open to the roof. The W part was originally 2-storeys with the present chimney serving the upper chamber. The schoolroom would have had an open fire (RCHM Typescript). A focal building at the E end of the High Street. (RCHM (1911) 211: Pevsner (1977) 344).

Listing NGR: TL3866111927

Selected Sources

  1. Other  Reference - Title: Inventory of the Historical Monuments of Hertfordshire - Date: 1910 - Page References: 211
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Cherry, B - Title: The Buildings of England: Hertfordshire - Date: 1977 - Page References: 344

National Grid Reference: TL 38661 11927

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Aug-2014 at 11:11:20.