List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ALBION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH

List entry Number: 1356460

Location

ALBION CONGREGATIONAL CHURCH, STAMFORD STREET EAST

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
TamesideMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jan-1967

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212686

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTON-UNDER-LYNE STAMFORD STREET EAST SJ 99 NW (south side)

4/37 Albion Congregational 12/01/67 Church

II*

Church. 1890-95. By John Brooke. Ashlar with slate roof. Nave, aisle passages, clerestory, transepts, north-west tower and chancel flanked by organ chamber and vestry. Gothic revival in a Decorated style. 8-bay nave (5-bay aisles) with weathered plinth and weathered flying buttresses which terminate in gabled pinnacles above the coped parapet. 3-light aisle windows and tall paired 2-light transomed clerestory lights all with flat traceried head. 5-light transept windows and 7-light west and east windows all with curvilinear tracery and below raked parapets. 2-bay chancel. Elaborate fleche. 4-stage tower with set-back weathered and gableted buttresses, arched doorway, cusped lancet windows, 3-light transomed third stage window and clock-faces in front of blind arcading in the fourth stage. The spire has lucarnes and is set back behind a parapet and corner pinnacles. INTERIOR: ashlar red sandstone facing throughout. Narthex below gallery. Moulded nave arcade on octagonal columns with foliated capitals and moulded bases. The lofty nave is roofed by trusses with angelic hammer beams which spring from carved corbels. Timberwork includes pulpit with sounding board, pews, stalls, organ case and chancel panelling. Stained glass transepts and east window by Morris and Co. Organ of 1894 by T. C. Lewis, rebuilt 1954. Reredos is a tiled memorial to both World Wars first installed 1921 by Pilkingtons. Memorial plaques to Hugh and Betsy Mason.



Listing NGR: SJ9432699003

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 94326 99003

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 17-Apr-2014 at 01:35:43.