List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: FOXDENTON HALL

List entry Number: 1356429

Location

FOXDENTON HALL, FOXDENTON LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1963

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212409

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SD 80 SE CHADDERTON FOXDENTON LANE (south-west side) 6/6 Foxdenton Hall 30/5/63 G.V. II* House. Between 1710 and 1730 for Alexander Radclyffe but on a basement which reuses features and stonework from a building of 1620 for William Radclyffe. English garden wall bond brick, stone basement and quoins and graduated stone slate roof. U-shaped plan of 2 storeys (plus basement). Anglo-classical style. 3 bays with 2-bay wings projecting on either side. Stone basement with 2-light double-chamfered stone mullion windows and former door lintel inscribed "WR1620". Rusticated quoins. Bold modillion eaves cornice which breaks forward at the central bay both front and rear. Steep hipped roof with two large rebuilt ridge chimney stacks. Central entrances to front and rear have panelled doors, moulded surrounds and pediments on enriched brackets. 6 ground floor and 7 first floor windows to both front and rear have slightly recessed 28-pane sash windows (many of which have been replaced by copies). Only one of the 3 original dormer windows exists on the rear roof. Interior: central room with large bolection-moulded fire surround gives access to parlour in west wing and stair and kitchen in east wing. The oak stair has a deep moulded handrail and turned balusters on a closed string and square newels with sunk panels. Wall panelling in entrance hall of 1620 and elsewhere of 1700. Oak ceiling beams. C18 fire places. A dignified early Georgian house, particularly rare in this part of the country. C.P. Hampson, The Book of the Radclyffes. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1911, Vol. 5. - - -

Listing NGR: SD8944404665

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906)
Hampson, CP, The Book of the Radclyffes
Hampson, CP, The Book of the Radclyffes

National Grid Reference: SD 89444 04665

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 27-Nov-2014 at 05:09:53.