List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1356418

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE, ST ANNES STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
OldhamMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 06-May-1987

Date of most recent amendment: 06-Oct-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 212453

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ROYTON

1477/4/49 ST ANNES STREET 06-MAY-1987 CHURCH OF ST ANNE

II*

Also Known As: Church of St Anne, ST ANNE'S AVENUE Church. 1908-9, tower 1926-7. By Temple Moore, tower completed by Leslie Moore to Temple Moore's design. Snecked stone with clay tile roof. Nave, chancel and aisle passages all under one roof. Shallow north organ transept balanced bya south tower. Lean-to baptistry and porches against west end and flat-roofed Lady Chapel at east end. Free Gothic style. 4 bay nave and chancel with plain buttresses and 1, 3 and 1-light windows with reticulated tracery in each bay. The chancel windows are given more elaboration. Gabled organ chamber and unbuttressed 5-stage tower with corner stair turret, bands separating each stage, 4-light second stage window, 2-light flat-headed mullion windows with hoodmoulds and castellations. The Lady Chapel (appearing externally to be the chancel) has a coped parapet, flat buttresses, C17- style mullioned clerestory windows, a rose window, and is flanked by lean-to vestries. INTERIOR: ashlar sandstone dressings. Ceiled wagon roof is decoratively painted. Wide nave arcade arches on square columns subtly enclosing the aisle windows which are above seated recesses under round arches. The aisle passages continue along the chancel till reaching the east wall which is pierced by 3 arches, the outer 2 giving access to the Lady Chapel. The arches are echoed at the west, where they have been glazed in and the former baptistery turned into a narthex/meeting room. The stone font has been moved to the south east corner of the nave. Timber fittings include a fine pulpit and two banks of choir stalls fronted by carved screens. Painted reredos and stained glass in the Lady Chapel also designed by the architect. An outstanding example of Temple Moore's radical approach to early C20 revivalism.

Brandwood, GK, Temple Moore, 1997, p.82.







Listing NGR: SD9199007049

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 91990 07049

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 29-Jul-2014 at 01:34:34.