List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: UNIVERSITY HOSTEL AND GREENBANK HOUSE

List entry Number: 1356362

Location

GREENBANK HOUSE, GREENBANK LANE
UNIVERSITY HOSTEL, GREENBANK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 28-Jun-1952

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 214209

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

392/38/561

GREENBANK LANE UNIVERSITY HOSTEL

28-JUN-52

II*

Includes: GREENBANK HOUSE, GREENBANK LANE

House. c.1787 or earlier, remodelled and extended 1812-1816,further extended late C19 and altered again to the designs of Quentin Hughes for the University of Liverpool in 1963. Regularly coursed sandstone blocks, horizontally channelled, with ashlar sandstone dressings, cast iron verandah and canopy, all beneath a hipped slate roof.

EXTERIOR: 2 storeys, 3 x 4 bays. Cornice over ground floor; 1st floor string course; top cornice. Projecting central bay flanked by ground floor canted bay windows with stepped parapets and pointed lights, with diamond panes throughout. 1st floor has 3-light pointed windows with cornices. Central bay has pointed chamfered arch with flanking niche, with panels over. Traceried balcony to 1st floor.loggia with triple arches, traceried spandrels. Arched entrances to both floors. Left return has 2-storey iron verandah, c.1815; the windows behind have label moulds, casements to ground floor, sashes to lst floor, all with pointed lights. Later brick service wings to street with bow windows and sashes (windows renewed). Round stair turret at rear (facing road), with belfry and spirelet. Long stone corridor/porch with pointed arched windows.

INTERIOR: Much original fabric survives, including a plaster vaulted entrance passage with muchette wheel traceried boss, and gothic staircase with cast-iron balusters and a moulded handrail. In the principal rooms, gothic and classical chimneypieces have been retained, together with gothic shutter boxes and decorative plaster cornices.

HISTORY: The house was leased by the Earl of Sefton to William Rathbone, merchant and ship owner, who subsequently purchased the property c.1787. Hannah Rathbone, grandaughter of Abraham Darby of Coalbrookdale had the house altered and extended c.1812-1816, a remodelling which included both external and internal cast-iron components. The property was given to Liverpool University in 1936.

Listing NGR: SJ3844387979

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 38443 87979

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 31-Oct-2014 at 10:07:26.