List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF SAINT MARY

List entry Number: 1356273

Location

CHURCH OF SAINT MARY, ALMONDS GREEN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
LiverpoolMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 12-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213670

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

SJ 3993 ALMONDS GREEN (east side) L12 17/78 Church of Saint 12.7.66 Mary

G.V. II*

Church. 1853-56. Sir George Gilbert Scott.Stone with slate roofs. 5-bay nave with aisles under lean-to roofs and north and south porches. Transepts and crossing tower. 3-bay chancel and north and south chapels; vestry on south side. Geometrical style. West entrance of 2 orders with window above of 4 lights, aisle west windows of 2 lights. Aisles have cornice and parapet, windows of 3 lights and stone rainwater heads in the form of beasts; offset buttresses. Clerestory has 2-light windows. Porch, entrance of 2 orders, sides have quatrefoil and trefoil openings (north porch blocked, 1984). North transept has 4-light north window, spherical triangle windows to east and west; canted stair turret with pinnacle to west. Tower of 2 stages has octagonal angle turrets with crocketed pinnacles. Lower stage has 5-bay blind arcade with cusped arches with frieze of quatrefoils and embattled parapet over. Upper stage has paired 2-light bell openings with canopied niche above, Lombard frieze and pierced parapet. Chancel has apsidal end, 2-light windows and Lombard frieze. Chapels have 3- light east window and 2-light side windows. North Chapel windows blocked (1984). Vestry has windows of 2 and 3 cusped lights an parpapet. South transept 3 2-light windows with chamfered buttresses below and rose above. Interior has arcades with round columns, wall shafts and scissor braced roofs. Crossing with clustered shafts and triforium with 2-light traceried openings;flat ceiling over. Chancel has 2-bay arcade on quatrefoil piers to south chapel, organ loft to north. Octagonal font has traceried canopy. Pulpit, choir stalls, chancel panelling and screen and reredos at south chapel by J. O. Scott, 1906. Stained glass mostly by Hardman. Of particular note is the fine carving of the arcade capitals. One of Sir Gilbert Scott's better works.with a particularly good interior. (Sundial from previous church set on south wall and dated 1793.)

Listing NGR: SJ3972393346

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 39723 93346

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 02-Sep-2014 at 08:09:34.