List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST THOMAS

List entry Number: 1356253

Location

CHURCH OF ST THOMAS, WARRINGTON ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 07-Dec-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213564

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

ASHTON IN MAKERFIELD WARRINGTON ROAD SJ 59 NE (east side) 11/8 Church of 7.12.66 St. Thomas II Church, 1891-3. By Oldham of Manchester. Stone with concrete tile roof. Nave with aisles under lean-to roofs, west tower, chancel with north organ loft and south and east vestries. Tower has north and south entrances with weathering and weathered buttresses above. West 4-light window with perpendicular tracery. North-west square stair turret. Louvred bell openings, paired to east and west over 3-face clock, cornice and embattled parapet with gargoyle to east. Nave of 3 bays has paired 3-light elliptical-headed aisle windows between flat buttresses to south, to north are 1:2:2-light windows. Clerestory has straight-headed traceried windows mostly of 3 lights. South vestry of 2 gabled bays has 3 weathered buttresses and 4-light windows small gabled porch. Chancel has 7-light east window with low blind panels, one inscribed "Re-BUILT/1892-3", with a keystone below dated 1714 from former church. 3-light north window and lateral stack. East vestry is C20 with 3-light straight-headed window. Organ loft is gabled, angled to follow street; 3 straight-headed traceried lights and wheel window; projection to west has parapet and entrance. Interior: Nave has arcades with octagonal piers and no capitals; the springers have shields. Arch-braced king and queen post roof. Chancel arch is corbelled and has Tudor flower ornament. Wood pulpit and stalls and panelling to sanctuary; traceried reredos. North piscina with traceried straight head. Font is octagonal on shafts and tracery panels, relief crosses to alternate faces.

Listing NGR: SJ5770798959

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SJ 57707 98959

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 23-Oct-2014 at 04:49:36.