List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST ANNE

List entry Number: 1356248

Location

CHURCH OF ST ANNE, TYDLESLEY ROAD

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Oct-1991

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213548

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The following building shall be added: ATHERTON TYLDESLEY ROAD SD 60 SE (west side), 2/63 Hinsford Church of St Anne II Church, 1899-1901. By Austin and Paley. Thinly-coursed sandstone, graduated Westmorland slate roof. Orientated north-west/south-east, ritual orientation used here. 4-bay aisled nave with south porch and transept; 2-bay chancel with tower and vestry against south side. In Gothic Revival style. Nave: gabled porch to right; offset buttress divides 4 two-light windows with sill bond, hollow-chamfered surrounds and cusped tracery. Gabled transept has tall 4-light window with reticulated tracery under pointed arch and hoodmould. North side: 3:4:2 windows (as south) divided by buttresses. Buttresses flank quadrant-moulded west window of 4 lights under pointed arch and hoodmould; square-headed, 2-light aisle windows. Coped gable with slit and apex cross. Tower: chamfered plinth, diagonal buttresses; tall 2-light window with hoodmould, string course beneath short belfry stage with louvred, square-headed 2-light openings; buttress on right rises as octagonal turret at corner of embattled parapet; pyramidal roof with weathervane. Chancel: traceried 3-light windows to each side; large buttresses flank pointed 5-light east window with reticulated tracery and hoodmould. Vestry in angle with tower is gabled to south and has 3-and 2-light windows with sill bond which rises as hood over shouldered lintel of east doorway.

Interior: Aisles have alternate hexagonal and round piers, double-chamfered arches. Arch-braced king-post roof. Double-chamfered chancel arch. Corbelled and ribbed arch beneath tower. Contemporary pews. Marble font under wooden-spire cover.

Listing NGR: SD6818802581

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SD 68188 02581

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 01-Nov-2014 at 08:23:03.