List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: ELM STREET SCHOOL (COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL)

List entry Number: 1356229

Location

ELM STREET SCHOOL (COUNTY PRIMARY SCHOOL), ELM STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
RochdaleMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 19-Sep-1969

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213447

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

MIDDLETON ELM STREET SD 80 NE (west side) 2/7 Elm Street School (County Primary 19/9/69 School) - II* School. 1908-10. By Edgar Wood and J. Henry Sellers. Brick with stone dressings and concrete roofs. 9-bay hall with towers at either end forms the centre of the design. Cloisters extend forward to meet Elm Street at left and right (boys and girls) and enclose a formally planned garden and a suite of offices which have a concaved single-storey facade. Beyond the arms of cloisters are parallel ranges of classrooms and a long range adjoins the hall at the rear. The design is compactly planned along formal lines. The hall has 9 round-arched windows with impost blocks and keystones to front and rear. The hipped roof sits behind a coped parapet which steps above a recessed brick panel in each bay, a feature which is repeated elsewhere. Towers to left and right with stone top stages form dominant features. The cross-vaulted cloisters have entrances on Elm Street with rusticated segmental arches and banded corner pilasters.Some of the arches have been blocked and only one set of cast- iron gates remains. The concaved office front has a series of flat-faced stone mullion windows (many leaded casements have been removed) on either side of central double doors. The classroom ranges to either side and to the rear (of 6 and 21 bays respectively) have segmental-arched windows with stone sills and are articulated by advanced bays which have a higher parapet level. Small later additions to left and right. Interior: many original features survive including doors and a moulded plaster ceiling to the hall. The school was designed to established new standards of hygiene in educaton and was the first municipal school (along with Durnford Street School, q.v.) in Middleton. The building is technically and architecturally advanced, the use of reinforced concrete allowing more freedom of planning. J.H.G. Archer, "Edgar Wood (1860-1935)" Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society, vol. 73-4, 1963-4.

Listing NGR: SD8838205948

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Archer, J H G, 'Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society' in Edgar Wood 1960-1935, (1964)
Archer, J H G, 'Transactions of the Lancashire and Cheshire Antiquarian Society' in Edgar Wood 1960-1935, (1964)

National Grid Reference: SD 88382 05948

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 12:11:46.