List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHADDOCK HALL

List entry Number: 1356222

Location

CHADDOCK HALL, CHADDOCK LANE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WiganMetropolitan Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 18-Jul-1966

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 213509

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

TYLDESLEY CHADDOCK LANE SD 70 SW (north side) 3/40 Chaddock Hall 18/7/66 G.V. II House. C17 and Cl8 with C19 alterations. Brick and timber- framing most of which has been rendered over. Slate roof. T- shaped 2-storey house with a range added to left probably in late C18. 4 bays, the first is gabled and has two 12-pane sash windows on the ground floor, a total of 3 replacement casements on the upper.floors and an ornate rainwater head at rear dated 1721. Bay 2 is also gabled and defines the extent of the timber-framed structure which is largely intact. It has a C19 canted bay window, a door with architrave surround and a replaced casement window on first floor. Both gables have kneelers, copings and finials of C19. Bays 3 and 4 have a datestone at rear: "T.C. 1698" (Thomas Chaydock) and an ornate lead rainwater-head dated "S.C. 1780". Total of 3 casement windows and a blocked door in bay 4. Gable chimney stack. A gabled crosswing to right (forming an H-plan) has long been demolished. C18 and C19 additions to rear. Interior: the timber-framed structure is 2 rooms deep; the central crosswall rises through 2 storeys, has diagonal braces and is surmounted by a raised crock truss. Also an ogee-arched door lintel. Early 6-panel and boarded doors throughout. Good plasterwork ceiling and cornices. Fine early C19 staircase with moulded handrail, column-on-vase balusters; a cut string and fluted column newels. Beams, some with broach stops. Right hand room has fine C17 panelling some with lozenge panels, original beams and an ovolo-moulded beam taken from Eccles Parish Church. Victoria County History of Lancashire, 1907.

Listing NGR: SD7114601045

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Farrer, W, Brownbill, J, The Victoria History of the County of Lancaster, (1906)

National Grid Reference: SD 71146 01045

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Nov-2014 at 05:15:52.