List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST MARK

List entry Number: 1355898

Location

CHURCH OF ST MARK, CHURCH PLACE

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
SwindonUnitary Authority

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II

Date first listed: 02-Oct-1951

Date of most recent amendment: Not applicable to this List entry.

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 318712

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

CHURCH PLACE SU 1484 NW SWINDON (north side) 5/52 Church of St. Mark 2.10.51 II

Anglican parish church of New Swindon. 1843-5, by Scott and Moffatt. Rock-faced snecked limestone, C20 grey tile roofs with lead to aisles. Nave and aisles, south porch and opposite north steeple. Chancel with south chapel and north vestry, latter of 1897 by Temple Moore. Decorated style and Tractarian. 5-bay nave with large 5-light Curvilinear west window and door below within 3 orders, now glazed. Two pointed segmental-headed clerestory windows between flat gabled buttresses, and fleuron decorated hollow moulding over. Aisles have 2-light windows of varying tracery between buttresses. South aisle chapel 3-bay with door in west bay and elaborate 2-light traceried windows. 3-light east window to chancel of 1897, with continuous string and angle buttresses. North chancel vestry with grotesque rain-water heads. 4 stage tower also with angle buttresses, and 2-light louvred bell openings. 140ft crocketed spire with base lucarnes and north door, detail as west door. Porch early C14 style triple keeling chafts and open timber roof. Interior: West bay C20 conversion to hall under organ. Quatrefoil piers with arcade of 2 chamfered orders. Open hammer-beam roof on carved corbels. 3-bay chancel moulded arcade on keeled columns and circular abaci. Wagon roof of 4 bays on coved wall plates with corbel brackets. Pulpit octagonal. Font with suspended oak cover spire. Glass: West window of 1843-5. South chapel east window, Mary and Child, 1894 by Kempe, also Kempe aisle window. Toledo coffer, highly carved, on arcaded base dated 1543.

Listing NGR: SU1434484736

Selected Sources

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details

National Grid Reference: SU 14344 84736

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 03:08:14.