List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: THE RECTORY

List entry Number: 1355627

Location

THE RECTORY

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityStretton-on-Fosse

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 16-May-1988

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306532

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

STRETTON ON FOSSE SP2238 15/166 The Rectory 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as The Old Rectory)

GV II*

House. Late C16 with late C17 and late C18 additions. Limestone ashlar and squared, coursed rubble with plinth, rusticated quoins and coped gables. Stone slate roof with ashlar ridge and end stacks with moulded bases and cornices. 2 storeys plus attic; 5-window range, the central 3 windows in a slightly projecting section. Complex plan. To centre an old panelled and part-glazed door within a stone Doric porch. To either side two 12-pane sashes with moulded sills and architraves. The central projecting bay section has a pediment, and a moulded cornice passes along the length of the building, surmounted by a parapet with moulded coping, later gabled dormers. Further late C17 gabled range to rear with 12-pane sashes and moulded architraves. Datestone is inscribed 'H/HM/1690', Extending back from rear a late C16 range of limestone ashlar with quoins, coped gable and stone slate roof, Ashlar ridge and end stacks, one with replaced brick flues. To centre left and right a large, 4-light, mullioned window with hood mould and label stops. C18 horizontal sliding sashes to first floor, with 6-pane casement between. Two C20 dormers. Early C19 brick one-window range to left, with one 12-pane sash to each floor. Interior: C18 panelling in hall with bracketted cornice and dado rail. Adam-style fireplace in wood in room to right, with further dado panelling. Stone flagged floor in hall. 6-panelled doors. Turned baluster staircase in late C17 range, with 3 balusters per tread and a reconstructed staircase in attic with pierced and shaped flat balusters. Roof in C16 range has trenched purlin trusses, one with highly curved collar brace. Further trenched purl in trusses with curved collars in C18 range. Old plank doors. (Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.421; V.C.H.: Uarwickshire, Vol.5, p.154).

Listing NGR: SP2239138289

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 154
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 421

National Grid Reference: SP 22391 38289

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 26-Jul-2014 at 06:14:31.