List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: GATEHOUSE AT THE CASTLE INN

List entry Number: 1355560

Location

GATEHOUSE AT THE CASTLE INN

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityRadway
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityRatley and Upton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 07-Jan-1952

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306190

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

The Grade shall be amended to II*

In the entry for:-

SP34NE RADWAY EDGEHILL 3/79 Gatehouse at The Castle Inn (formerly listed as Edge Hill Tower)

GV

RADWAY EDGEHILL SP34NE 3/79 Gatehouse at The Castle Inn 07/01/52 (Formerly listed as Edge Hill Tower)

GV II

Gatehouse. Formerly attached to The Castle Inn. Designed by Sanderson Miller for himself. c.1746-1747. Ironstone ashlar. Castellated Gothick style. 2 storeys, with 3 storey turrets; front partly below road level and obscured by later causeway across blocked archway; 3 bays. Square turret on left has machicolations and moulded battlements. Small lancets, blind to front. Lower truncated turret on right, probably originally similar, has single-pitch roof sloping to right. Arched gateway between has plank door with shields above. To rear: 2-storey recessed archway. Large stone bracket to each side formerly supported a bridge to The Castle Inn (q.v). Central arched doorway to vaulted chamber. Turrets have chamfered plinth. Blind cross slit windows. and lancets above. Inner faces have arched doorways to ground and second floors. The gateway formed part of the Castle, also known as Edgehill Tower. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.V, p.142; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.380; R.B. Wood-Jones: Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region: 1963. p.199).

Listing NGR: SP3738247415

Selected Sources

Books and journals
Doubleday, AH, Page, W , The Victoria History of the County of Warwick, (1949), 142
Pevsner, N, Wedgwood, A, The Buildings of England: Warwickshire, (1966), 380
Wood-Jones, R B, Traditional Domestic Architecture in the Banbury Region, (1963), 199

National Grid Reference: SP 37382 47415

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 25-Oct-2014 at 01:40:50.