List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

List entry Number: 1355550

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AD VINCULA

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityRatley and Upton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306240

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

RATLEY AND UPTON RATLEY SP34NE 3/117 Church of St. Peter Ad Vincula 30/05/67 (Formerly listed as Church of St. Peter and Vincula) GV II*

Church. C12 chancel, C13 nave and tower, C14 south aisle and chapel and alterations; C17 porch. Restored 1872. Nave, tower and porch of regular coursed ironstone; chancel, aisle and chapel of squared coursed ironstone rubble. Chancel roof of tiles, nave of slates, aisle of lead; nave and chancel have coped gable parapets. Chancel, nave, south aisle, south chapel, north porch and west tower. Decorated style. 3-bay nave, 2-bay chancel. Chancel has diagonal buttresses with 2 offsets. Renewed 4-light window with curvilinear tracery. North side has small chamfered priest's doorway with C19 plank door. 2-light eastern window has curvilinear tracery. Small low western 2-light window has reticulated tracery. South side has 3-light window of cusped intersecting tracery. Hood moulds with return stops. Porch has chamfered and moulded Tudor-arched doorway with hood mould. Stone benches inside. Decorated north doorway has 2 major and 2 minor orders of roll moulding and deep hollow chamfers. Hood mould with block stops. C19 double-leaf doors. 3 partly-restored two-light north windows with ogee arches and hood moulds with return stops and finials. Reticulated tracery; only the window west of porch is cusped. South aisle and chapel in one. Diagonal and 2 south buttresses have 2 offsets. Splayed plinth, missing in west bay and buttress, stepped down from tower halfway across west end. East window of 2 trefoiled lights and uncusped mouchette wheel. Gable to east end only. On south side 3-light eastern adn 2-light western windows have reticulated tracery. Central Perpendicular window has panel tracery. 2-light west window has trefoiled round arched lights and ogee within arch. Hood moulds with return stops; central window has block and carved stops. Tower of very large ironstone blocks with prominent pointing. 3 stages with taller square north-west stair turret. Splayed plinth and string courses. Diagonal buttresses with 4 offsets to second stage. West doorway of 2 chamfered orders with splayed jambs and C19 double-leaf ribbed doors. Second stage has small 2-light west window with renewed reticulated tracery. 2-light Perpendicular bell openings. Remains of gargoyles. Moulded cornice and parapet. Interior plastered chancel arch to chapel. Chancel arch, 3-bay nave arcade and chapel west arch are similar, of 2 moulded and chamfered continuous orders without capitals or imposts. Chancel has C20 roof. Nave has flat plaster ceiling. Aisle has 6-bay Perpendicular roof with moulded tie beams. Chapel, now organ chamber, has much-renewed ogee head piscina. Fittings: font has plain octagonal bowl, possibly recut, on renewed stem. Pulpit, pews and altar rails, and encaustic tile sanctuary floor of c.1872. Elaborate stone. Early English style reredos of 1875 has polished granite shafts. Stained glass: chancel north west c.1865. Monuments: west wall has 2 panels of reset C16,C17 and early C18 inscription brasses. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, p.146-7; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.382).

Listing NGR: SP3834547334

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 146-7
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 382

National Grid Reference: SP 38345 47334

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 21-Sep-2014 at 11:07:40.