List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST CLARE

List entry Number: 1355534

Location

CHURCH OF ST PETER AND ST CLARE, CHURCH STREET

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityFenny Compton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 30-May-1967

Date of most recent amendment: 08-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 306158

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

FENNY COMPTON CHURCH STREET SP4052 (South side) 6/48 Church of St. Peter and St. 30/05/67 Clare (Formerly listed as Church of St. Clare)

GV II*

Church. Late C13/early C14 chancel, largely rebuit late C18/C19 and late C19; late C13 nave; late C14 north aisle, west tower and spire, and porch. C16 clerestory. Porch partly remodelled 1675. South aisle, restoration and tracery largely renewed 1879 by T.G. Jackson. Ironstone: chancel, clerestory, north aisle and tower regular coursed; south aisle of coursed rubble. Lead roofs have moulded parapets and shallow-pitched gable parapets. Chancel, aisled nave, north porch and west tower. Decorated style. 3-bay chancel, 3-bay nave. Chancel has plinth, double-stepped to east, and south diagonal and north-east buttresses; aisles have diagonal buttresses. Chancel has 3-light east window with reticulated tracery and hood mould. North side has blocked doorway partly inserted into it. Three 2-light south windows have cinqfoiled lights. North porch has low diagonal buttresses. C14 moulded arched doorway has hood mould with block stops, and C17 double-leaf plank doors. Datestone in gable. Late C14 north doorway of 2 sunk-chamfered orders has hood mould with head stops. Ancient studded 3-plank door. Two north windows of 2 trefoiled round arched lights in square head with moulded jambs and hood mould. 3-light east window has segmental arch and trefoiled lights. 2-light west window has simple cusped reticulated tracery. Hood moulds with block stops. South aisle has 4 buttresses. Central south doorway of 2 chamfered orders with hood mould and foliage stops. Four 2-light south windows have cusped Y-tracery. East and west windows similar to north aisle. 3-bay clerestory has 2-light windows; C16 with 4-centred lights to north, C19 with trefoiled lights to south. Tower of 2 stages. Double chamfered plinth. West diagonal buttresses have 4 offsets up to parapet. Blocked west door. Late C14 west window of 2 orders, with cinqfoiled reticulated tracery and hood mould with head stops. Similar trefoiled bell openings, but with return stops. North and south gargoyles. Recessed octagonal spire with small lucarnes. Interior: plastered walls. Chancel has C19 south recess with segmental-pointed arch. C19 roof, with one reset medieval head corbel. C14 chancel arch of 2 chamfered orders, the inner on half-octagon shafts with moulded capitals and bases, and hood mould with return stops. Nave has 5-bay C14 north arcade of 2 chamfered orders and octagonal pillars with moulded capitals and bases; easternmost bay has fragmentary foliage carving. Blocked square headed doorway to former roof loft. Similar south arcade of 1879. Low-pitched roof has simply-moulded cambered tie beams with wall posts on stone corbels. Aisles have chamfered cambered tie beams and chamfered rib. Fittings: C17 communion rails with twisted balusters. Font has C19 bowl on old cylindrical stem and square base. Pulpit of 5 late C17 fielded panels. North aisle has plain locker with fielded panel door and H-hinges. C17 chest. Stained glass: north aisle east window c.1883. Monuments: chancel has reset brass with inscription to Richard Willis 1597. Elizabeth Croker 1719: wall monument with flaming urn. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.I, pp.48-9; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, p.293).

Listing NGR: SP4168852157

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Bedford - Date: 1904 - Volume: 1 - Page References: 48-9
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 293

National Grid Reference: SP 41699 52119

Map


© Crown Copyright and database right 2014. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100024900.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2014. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 28-Jul-2014 at 07:28:54.