List entry

List entry Summary

This building is listed under the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990 as amended for its special architectural or historic interest.

Name: CHURCH OF ST DENIS

List entry Number: 1355522

Location

CHURCH OF ST DENIS

The building may lie within the boundary of more than one authority.

County District District Type Parish
WarwickshireStratford-on-AvonDistrict AuthorityLittle Compton

National Park: Not applicable to this List entry.

Grade: II*

Date first listed: 13-Oct-1966

Date of most recent amendment: 09-Apr-1987

Legacy System Information

The contents of this record have been generated from a legacy data system.

Legacy System: LBS

UID: 305988

Asset Groupings

This list entry does not comprise part of an Asset Grouping. Asset Groupings are not part of the official record but are added later for information.

List entry Description

Summary of Building

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Reasons for Designation

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

History

Legacy Record - This information may be included in the List Entry Details.

Details

LITTLE COMPTON SP2830 14/53 Church of St. Denis 13/10/66 (Formerly listed as parish Church of St. Denis)

GV II*

Church. C12 origins. C14 tower, the remainder rebuilt 1863-4 by E.G. Bruton. Squared coursed limestone rubble with C20-tile roof. Chancel, nave with short south aisle and south tower. Chancel of 3 bays with chamfered plinth, quoins, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gable to east with moulded kneelers and cross at apex. To east a C19 window in C13 style of 3 trefoiled lights. Hood mould with plain labels. To south three C13 re-used windows, each of a single light with trefoiled head, that to left set lower. To north a C19 gabled vestry with C20 tile roof and coped gables with kneelers. To east a Tudor-arched doorway with plank door. Trefoiled single-light window to right is perhaps re-used. To west a further trefoiled window of a single light, also perhaps re-used. Nave of 4 bays with chamfered plinth, quoins, chamfered eaves cornice and coped gables with moulded kneelers. To south, in angle of south tower and south wall of nave, a 2-bay aisle with parapet and coped gable with moulded kneeler to east. To east of aisle, and to two south openings a C19 square-headed window of 2 hollow-chamfered pointed lights. To left of south wall of nave a C19 gabled porch with pointed, ovolo-moulded doorway. C19 door. To left a re-set C14 pointed window of 2 ogee-headed lights and quatrefoil. C19 hood mould and plain labels. To north wall of nave three C19 windows in C13 style of 2 trefoiled lights with quatrefoil-pierced plate tracery. Hood moulds with plain labels. To right a C19 doorway with hood mould and plain labels. Plank door. To left a C19 single-light window. To east gable end and to centre-right of north wall a C19 stone stack. To west wall a paired C19 window in C13 style with quatrefoil-pierced tracery. Hood moulds with plain labels. C14 south tower of 3 stages with moulded plinth. A weather-course divides the first and second stages to south and west. Flat buttress to second stage north-east and north-west angles. Offset diagonal buttresses to south-east and south-west angles. Saddleback roof with coped gables to north and south. The lower stage, which originally served as a chapel, has C19 or restored C19 chamfered doorway. To south wall a segmental-pointed window of 2 round-headed lights with chamfered surrounds, set slightly back, To east, visible from south aisle, a 2-light mullioned window, now blocked. To each face of second and third stage a double-chamfered rectangular light. Interior: to south wall of chancel, the easternmost window has a C13 moulded and trefoiled rere-arch. Window to centre has C13 moulded splays which continue into a moulded, trefoiled arch. Westernmost window has moulded, trefoiled rere-arch supported on shafts with moulded capitals. C19 trefoiled piscina in north wall. C19 double-chamfered chancel arch. 2-bay south aisle arcade with central round pier and responds with moulded bases and capitals. Double-chamfered arches, To west of arcade a C14 triple-chamfered tower arch. In east wall of tower a C14 altar recess with chamfered surround. In south wall a small piscina. C19 barrel-vaulted chancel roof, arch-braced collar truss nave roof and panelled aisle roof. C19 stained glass in chancel east window and aisle windows. Re-set in south-east window of chancel sane fragments of C16 glass from the Church of Villers, destroyed in 1918, Large C13 round font. In nave floor grave slabs to Thomas Juxon who died in 1643, to Elizabeth Pony who died in 1652, Sir William Juxon who died in 1739, and John Jones who died 1755, aged 57. In north wall of nave a wall tablet to Susanna, Viscountess Fane who died in 1792. She was wife of William Juxon, whose grave lies in the nave floor. (V.C.H.: Warwickshire, Vol.5, pp.51-52; Buildings of England: Warwickshire, pp.340-341).

Listing NGR: SP2616930290

Selected Sources

  1. Book  Reference - Author: Doubleday, AH and Page, W - Title: The Victoria History of the County of Warwick - Date: 1949 - Volume: 5 - Page References: 51-52
  2. Book  Reference - Author: Pevsner, N and Wedgwood, A - Title: The Buildings of England: Warwickshire - Date: 1966 - Page References: 340-1

National Grid Reference: SP 26169 30290

Map

© Crown Copyright and database right 2012. All rights reserved. Ordnance Survey Licence number 100019088.
© British Crown and SeaZone Solutions Limited 2012. All rights reserved. Licence number 102006.006.

This copy shows the entry on 18-Apr-2014 at 10:22:01.